Sandhills

Old Hickory

Coming out to the Sandhills for the early season opener. Was wondering how the cover is looking. Seems like the area has been getting pretty good rains. Came out there last year and really enjoyed, its a special place. Thanks for any reply’s

It is spotty, some of the areas had good rains early but its been really dry and hot for the last three weeks all across the state. Those areas that had rain early still look okay but the ones that didn't are burned up and they are calling for heat and little rain for the next 10 days.. Where are you heading?

On McKelvie there are a lot of low areas with water, of course there’s also a lot of high areas. It feels like sand mountains sometimes. Valentine national wildlife refuge has a ton of water. I can’t imagine the low areas not having cover. That said those aren’t always the best grouse areas. I had more luck the higher I went.

Appreciate the info. Last year I went to Nebraska National Forest at Halsey, trying to decide whether to go back there or change the scenery up and go to Samuel Mckelvie or Valentine NWR and see some new ground. Thanks again

McKelvie is amazing, it’s a big area . The 2 years I went there wasn’t much pressure I saw a few antelope hunters not many grouse hunters. I didn’t hunt Valentine as much, mainly because on McKelvie there was more vehicle access. My wife could drop me off and I could walk an area and get picked up . Saved my legs a lot of steps. 2nd year I went everything was flooded.

I plan to be in the Sandhills for the opener. If the weather will cooperate. I have hunted valentine nwr the last 4 years but only in October on my way to SD. I have never hunted at the start of the season. I have never found many grouse on valentine. (Lots of pheasants though) . Most of the birds I have killed have come off a private ranch that borders the NWR. I was lucky to meet this rancher a few years back.
This year I plan to spend much more time on Mckelvey. I have talked to few others that think the birds are thicker there than on valentine.

i will be there opening weekend by myself with my 3 dogs, (1 being a 9 month old setter) if anyone would like to hook up and do a walk or 2 together.

I heard that there were pheasants on Valentine that surprises me since there Isn’t much agriculture around it. I hunted Valentine but just barely, I didn’t see many birds i mainly concentrated on McKelvie.

I heard that there were pheasants on Valentine that surprises me since there Isn’t much agriculture around it. I hunted Valentine but just barely, I didn’t see many birds i mainly concentrated on McKelvie.
The last 2 years at the bottoms of most draws with good cover and water I got into pheasants. It was good work for my dogs since the season was not open yet. It was not giant flushes, but a few birds here or there. This is also limited exposure, I only hunted valentine for a day and a half. It was just a pit stop on my trip to SD. The private land I have access to that borders the nwr also has had quite a few pheasants the past few years. If I see the same thing again this year I may have to plan a trip back for the pheasant opener. I usually stay in the SW part of the state for my phez hunting, but the last few years it just seems to be getting worse with time.

The Sandhills were great. Came across a few birds and saw some great scenery.

Attachments

• 4B342D35-A234-4CC7-A791-4965DA2BA9DC.jpeg
    4B342D35-A234-4CC7-A791-4965DA2BA9DC.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 108
  • 6FC5433A-3204-438F-9F8C-EED27266BCFC.jpeg
    6FC5433A-3204-438F-9F8C-EED27266BCFC.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 107
I hunted in the Sandhills on my way to Wyoming for big bombers and had a great time in McKelvie. Looks like a great hunt congrats!

Back