Said yes to another dog!

TomU

I returned to Bird hunting 3 years ago. Bought a pup, trained him and had a great time In KS and SD these past years. Phin is a machine in the field but in the off season he’s happy to be a house dog, always alert for the chance to get outside. He thrives on regular training, exercise and exploring the sagebrush around us. Phin’s not the most affectionate dog. We have our moments but for the most part he acts like it’s beneath him to climb in a lap (good thing ‘cause he’s 110 lbs) or lick a face. I get it! We’re joined at the hip and both happy with our arrangement. He’s my dog.

This vexes my wife. She tries to show him affection and he usually tolerates it a moment or two, then walks off and lays down somewhere else. She’s been after me to get another dog. I’ve resisted. Then last season, having 2 weeks of “use or lose” vacation time she asked if I’d like another SD trip and she”d come along. She enjoyed the experience. I enjoyed the company. When we got home she told me next year she wanted to hunt with me, not just come along. And, she would like her own dog!

I CAVED! Welcome a new female yellow Lab pup that is bonding to her and will be her dog. It will be my job to train the new pup, and hopefully Phin will help speed that process when the time comes. But for now it’s the basics.

Say hello to Annie.

Phin & Annie.jpeg

very cute! 2 is much much more of a handful than 1! Especially in high energy sporting dogs! Enjoy the ride! She's a cutie

very cute! 2 is much much more of a handful than 1! Especially in high energy sporting dogs! Enjoy the ride! She's a cutie
You got that right. I'm surprised (and grateful) that Phin is a tolerant as he is towards her. From day 1 she was not intimidated at all.

I returned to Bird hunting 3 years ago. Bought a pup, trained him and had a great time In KS and SD these past years. Phin is a machine in the field but in the off season he’s happy to be a house dog, always alert for the chance to get outside. He thrives on regular training, exercise and exploring the sagebrush around us. Phin’s not the most affectionate dog. We have our moments but for the most part he acts like it’s beneath him to climb in a lap (good thing ‘cause he’s 110 lbs) or lick a face. I get it! We’re joined at the hip and both happy with our arrangement. He’s my dog.

This vexes my wife. She tries to show him affection and he usually tolerates it a moment or two, then walks off and lays down somewhere else. She’s been after me to get another dog. I’ve resisted. Then last season, having 2 weeks of “use or lose” vacation time she asked if I’d like another SD trip and she”d come along. She enjoyed the experience. I enjoyed the company. When we got home she told me next year she wanted to hunt with me, not just come along. And, she would like her own dog!

I CAVED! Welcome a new female yellow Lab pup that is bonding to her and will be her dog. It will be my job to train the new pup, and hopefully Phin will help speed that process when the time comes. But for now it’s the basics.

Say hello to Annie.

View attachment 7559
What a beautiful pup!

Back