Said goodbye to a friend's...

property today:confused:

The place held a covey of quail, not a covey my dogs and I liked to chase often, but a covey that was nice to come across from time to time anyway. A good friend owned a piece of KS history for the past 5+years. It held multiple 100+year old buildings, along with original rock fences dating back several generations. Everything there was built with the limestone dug by men and placed by hand, 1 at a time. Every ceiling in the old buildings has a main truss that has supported the load for over 100 years; all of them made from trees on that land.

He bought it b/c he wanted to "get away from it all". The place is where my sons have learned to drive a pick-up and where my family and I have parked atop a huge hill facing W to watch the sun go down many a summer eve. Good golly, the beauty of the place can't be put into words.

The pond may only have an acre or 2 of surface area, but she was deep and held many fish. Surrounded on all sides by hills, it was the one place we could always fish, even if the wind was blowing. The creek was a great place to set up a lawn chair and let the crystal clear, grass-filtered water trickle through your toes.

Unfortunately, the gravel-driving-life (big, nasty flint rock and creek gravel 15mi each way) finally got to him and he decided he's headed back for KC and the property is being sold. I stop to ponder whether I should've invested more time and effort in life focusing on $, instead of spending all my w/e's "in the sticks" with my family and/or bird dogs. After all, I could've bought it if I had! Nah, our memories can't be taken from us. In fact, its exciting just knowing we'll get to explore the next special place in our lives:thumbsup:

Each member of my family has asked to see the place one last time. I happily obliged and drove 'em all out there, but today, today was my day with the dogs. After letting the dogs cover both pastures and taking another look at each of the old buildings, we headed down toward the pond for ole' Duke dog to take a swim. Tate found "our covey" of quail as I stopped to light a cigar. The sound of their wings in that quiet valley was for but a moment deafening. This opportunity was not brought about by anyone in the flesh;)

Both of his neighbors passed away in the past year. Fine folks who'd given us free reign of their land for the same number of years our friend had owned the place. They've since gone home to be with our maker. The sinking feeling of heartbreak was replaced by the feeling of being so blessed to have known all of them and to have had the opportunity to share time and space with them in the first place.

Moral of the story folks is that nothing lasts forever. Stop for moment and consider the magnificent things in life that should be cherished:cheers:

Merry Christmas to all!!

Last edited:
KB, Unfortunately most of us have walked that very same path on every parcel we no longer have the opportunity to hunt. Many good memories, yet sadness when their loss was incurred. I've planted lead, feathers, and maybe a favorite pocket knife or blaze orange hat on more than a few of them. I've watched the cover crop trend into a weedy CRP cover full of birds, to a CRP cover dominated by grass, to once again crop. I still can't drive by without remembering dogs and their points, birds and their flushes, deer and their antlers, and puppies and their maturation that occurred on those acres. Keep the memories close and the regrets short. The Good Lord will open another door to you if you'll look!!!

Back