Safeties, Selectors, and other bugaboos

oldandnew

I had an opportunity to renew my acquaintence with my Remington 3200, last weekend, and was reminded of what has to be the greatest safety selector switch of all time. Maybe to easy, since no manufacturer since has used it, no doubt due to our suit happy enviornment. Caused me to think about safeties and selectors, I've known over the years. I don't think in 40 years, I have used the selector switch on a SST, save once, on an unlucky dove I saw coming straight in full bore from a long way off. Ironically, he fell to the second shot, the improved cylinder barrel, in a shower of feathers, after I selected via the L.C. Smith Hunter One Trigger, and fired, missing with the modified. So what experiences have you had, and what do you prefer? Browning H pattern sliding gated selector, Beretta switch within a switch, mounted in the safety, ( extremely popular, but man I could never get those selected), button on the trigger, ala SKB, or the traditional double trigger, the fastest of all with practice, Yes I have pulled the first trigger twice! three times! O.K. four times, before sanity returned and I fire a salute to a rapidly retreating bird. Lets here what you use, or have and don't use, likes, dislikes, in real world hunting, no target shooting opinions, if you get so rattled shooting targets that you can't select a barrel, you should be disarmed! Meanwhile, I sure would like to hunt with the 3200, but at almost 9#'s, I don't know if I want to lug that fusile cannon across the uplands.

All of my guns have barrel selectors, some on the safety, some on the trigger.

For the life of me, I can't remember ever changing barrels while a bird was in the air.

I guess my theory is - if you don't kill him with the first barrel, shoot him again.

The 3200 is heavy, true, but it's a sweet gun.

Back