Russell Moccasin

cheesy

Anybody bit the bullet and bought some customized to your foot? I've got a funky protrusion out the back of my heel and boots just eat me up. Been thinking about dropping $400 for a pair. Their website says they can customize to fit funky protrusions on the back of your heel (my words, not theirs, but close).

If you've got some, what ones? What soles?

I have the high country hunters or sheep hunters with a bob sole that are not worn out but the ankle is too stiff and the bob sole is too stiff for flat ground They put the pressure on your knees then. I had a pair of south 40's that never made the luggage ramp one time. They are as advertised (custom) I wear a 14 4e on the left and a 15 4e on the right and I actually went to the factory in Berlin to get measured. I just ordered a new pair of upland boots for this year and can't get them broken in and can only walk 2-3hrs without limping. If you can pop for them they last and they are way easier on your feet. Look on their site for returned shoes I never can seem to find anything close. After blowing out my last pair of Irish setters and the latest experiment I might have to order another pair, They are steep.

I have the bird shooters and my brother has the south 40's. If I get another pair I will get the south 40's. Had mine for 4 seasons now and they look new except for the toe cap and they are almost water proof if kept up with obenauffs.

I'm thinking of doing it, just looking at all the options for soles, leathers, and other customizations for the various boots.

Figure the money spent on those will be better than having to put duct tape on my heels each morning and hoping/grimacing that it works. (by the way, duct tape really does work well if you get blisters on your heels, or breaking in new boots, back when new boots would actually conform to my heel)

I don't think either of us opted for different soles, we just got what was standard for them. The soles on mine look brand new almost and are very stiff, my brother is sending his back to be resoled after this season.

Whatever you get opt for toe caps and get a pair of boot chalks? (Whatever theyre called) to hold them in shape when not in use. Mine get very hard to get on and off if not held in place while not in use.

Here are mine, notice how the ankle area has lost its form just in a few days.

20141111_122319_zps59d2fd86.jpg

20141111_122929_zps78e18aab.jpg

Here's a picture of mine with too much sole and too stiff for flat ground IMHO. they are double vamped which is nice and I like the idea of a toe cap. The ankle and heal have stiffeners, which has helped them keep their shape. The stiffeners make it hard to walk on flat ground for very long if you have a bad knee. These are 20 years old and have been sheep and goat hunting several times. They do last, they have only been resoled once. The 200 dollar pair I bought 2 months ago are going to be throw aways if they don't break in some more. I had them put 400 gram in the foot area only of these. It is nice if it is cold, but not too hot if a change of socks is handy. They only get used late in the season in heavy cover and snow now. They are as waterproof as a leather boot can get. I would recommend them to anybody that has a foot issue. I have not been able to replace them with anything close, and I've tried. Talking myself into another pair it sounds like. :rolleyes:

Wife took the hint. Gift certificate in my email last week. Likely order some next week.

I have a pair I bought about two/three years ago. I actually drove to the factory and the owner Lefty measured my feet himself.

I got the Signature South 40 Bird shooter (not sure if original or the 2). I added the toe cap and D rings rather than the speed studs which I don't like. Also had him put in a green leather trim on the back like the Country Squire.

The only thing i would change is the sole. I had him put on the standard flat vibram sole which has almost no traction on slippery ground, however it doesn't pick up any mud. I need something with a little better traction so I'm going to change that.

Otherwise they are excellent. Fit, finish, quality materials and surprisingly water resistant. My feet have never gotten even a drop of moisture and I've slogged through some ditches and standing water in them. They show almost no wear whatsoever.

Boots

I have three pairs two from the old owners and one from the new. That said I should never have to buy another pair. First pair have been re built and still going after 20+years of use. The new pair are taking longer to brake in. I would tell anybody to buy a pair after the use I've got with mine.

Back