Roosters with Dad (resized the jumbo photos)

hobbes

My parents made the long trip last week for their yearly visit, so Dad and I were able to get out and hunt roosters.* Dad has killed several pheasants on a state put-and-take hunt in Illinois but never hunted wild roosters.*

The dog work on our first day out was far from what I wanted, but I expected it considering this was their first hunt of the season.* The 2 year old Griff, Kassie, was so excited that she was shaking when I got her out of the box.* She pointed a hen 50 feet from the truck and lost all composure after the flush.* She may have gotten away with covering ground that fast if it had been the first day of the season, but we were on block management that had been hit hard for four days already.* The older WPG, Cash, just turned 9, so his excitement is more manageable.* However, he was doing his best to keep up with the girl. (I take full responsibility for Kassie?s over excitement.* I?ve not spent enough time working with the 2 year old this spring and summer to balance her excitement with solid discipline.)*

By mid-morning the dogs had both regained their senses and were working at a pace that my dad could keep up with.* Dad is 71 and his ankles and feet bother him quite a bit, so he moves at a lot slower pace than I?d normally move.* He?d have been better off if I?d have just left Kassie at home, but I?m not sure that she?d have forgiven me.

We didn?t walk away with as many roosters as I?d have liked, but we had a good hunt together and made some memories.* We ended up with several good solid points and retrieves from Cash over the three morning hunt.* Kassie had several good points herself, that resulted in one missed rooster by Dad on the first morning and an unrecovered rooster by me on the last morning.* (I?d like to blame it on her inexperience, but it?s as much my poor shot as her inexperience.)* She also did a fine job of finding a rooster that managed to fly 100 plus yards when Dad connected after a point from Cash.* Kassie held a solid point on a whitetail doe that scared us both half to death when it jumped from the alfalfa. (Maybe she?ll recognize that scent next time.)* There was a good shot or two made as well as a display or two of poor shooting.* I also managed to kill a rooster with my grandfather?s old Model 12 16 gauge that I brought home over the summer.

Dad with a couple roosters

DSCN1212.JPG

Model 12 rooster
20161013_083727.jpg

20161013_171128.jpg

Early morning
20161013_072639.jpg

20161013_080554.jpg

Last edited:
Roosters with Dad

Tired bird dogs deserve to be pampered
20161013_173352.jpg

20161013_182510.jpg

20161013_182530.jpg

The pup I left at home, Finn, was happy when we returned, but may have been suspicious that he missed out on something.

20161014_203703.jpg

Some pheasant parmesan with fresh vegetables was a nice meal when we returned.

20161016_182248.jpg

20161016_182256.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff, enjoy it while you can. The phez parmesan sounds delicious.

The pheasant parmesan was delicious. It had the added bonus of my Mother's touch. She won't help anyone's cholesterol or waistline, but man can she cook.

Would Mom care to share here recipe? I'm not quite fat enough yet.

We did 12 filleted breast halves with the following recipe. I also soaked the breasts in buttermilk for half an hour. I think this helps make the meat tender.

Mix together:
2 cups Panko Japanese style bread crumbs
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Add garlic powder, salt, and peper to taste.

Melt one stick of butter. Dip breast halves one at a time in melted butter then into Panko mix. Place halves in baking dish and bake 45 to 60 min covored at 375. Uncover for last five minutes or so to brown.

Last edited:
Nice photos. Thank you.:thumbsup:

The plumage on those birds look as if they are wild Illinois pheasants but our season isn't open yet. Did you shoot them on a preserve?

I'm from IL but moved west in 2006 to Colorado then to Montana in 2011. They are wild Montana roosters. Season opened here on October 8th.

That is a good recipe that can be used on fish also. I bake my sea trout and flounder that way with variations of temp and time of course. Delicious!!! I'll have to try on pheasant. Good write up and enjoy those moments with your pops.

I'm from IL but moved west in 2006 to Colorado then to Montana in 2011. They are wild Montana roosters. Season opened here on October 8th.

Nice! Yeah, Montana pheasants are beautiful. They look very similar to IL birds (in general). Iowa birds too.

So how much do you miss IL?:D

Both mine and my wife's families are still in Southern IL. I miss them and several lifelong friends. I also miss IL whitetails and eastern turkeys, but I've replaced them with elk, Merriam's turkeys, and rooster pheasants.

I don't miss Southern IL summer heat and humidity (we visited in July this year) and I sure as heck don't miss IL's politics.

Both mine and my wife's families are still in Southern IL. I miss them and several lifelong friends. I also miss IL whitetails and eastern turkeys, but I've replaced them with elk, Merriam's turkeys, and rooster pheasants.

I don't miss Southern IL summer heat and humidity (we visited in July this year) and I sure as heck don't miss IL's politics.

Take a little drive down the Musselshell if you start missing your whitetails, they may not be 190 class but 160-170 could be shot from the highway by the truck full.

Oh yeah, Montana has some good, even great, whitetails. I just don't have easy access to them like I did in Illinois.

Back