Rooster in the Bag

nrhpilot

Went out this morning to Marion reservoir and three public fields in the area. I would like to compliment the Ks dept of wildlife for their management of the public lands there. They have some great access and a good variety of cover, crp, weedy tree rows, thickets, and milo cut in strips to mention a few. Oh, and the big bonus for me is that it's only about 35 min from home. Didn't see much action in the first two fields, just some wild flushes way out ahead in the crp and at the end of the milo field. Did see a covey that was 15 birds strong as I was driving, but didn't stop, not sure why but didn't.....
Anyway, the third field, was a native grass field of about shoulder height that ran alongside one of the inlets of the northwest corner of the lake, bordered on the other side by a dirt road and scrub and a tree row. Jet, my lab, got birdy right smack dab in the middle of the field. The helicopter tail got to twirling and the nose stuck to the ground sounding like an oil pump. about 20 yards to my 3oclock a rooster jumps up cackling and I didn't pull the trigger till he was nearly 40 yds out. It was a very marginal shot for me. I use an over and under 20 guage remington spartan with ic choke and 2.75" #5s in the bottom barrell and a mod choke 3" #4s in the top for back up. I am happy to report the the bottom barrell folded him up nicely. The only thing that would have made it prettier is if jet would have brought him back to hand. We both had to make the trekk down to nearly the lake shore to find him in a black locust thorny mess, but we got him, and I will be wearing a smile for just that one bird, at least for the next couple of days. I have been kicking around the idea of a 12 guage auto for my next bird gun, but I think I will hold off for now, maybe next season...........

congrats on your pheasant i live in mcpherson ks never hunted at marion i to have a 20 gauage over and under citory i bought a winchester sx3 at smokey valley havent hunted with it yet cant get away from the 20g but the sx3 are surpose to be really good might be worth lookin at

Quality over Quantity

Went out this morning to Marion reservoir and three public fields in the area. I would like to compliment the Ks dept of wildlife for their management of the public lands there. They have some great access and a good variety of cover, crp, weedy tree rows, thickets, and milo cut in strips to mention a few. Oh, and the big bonus for me is that it's only about 35 min from home. Didn't see much action in the first two fields, just some wild flushes way out ahead in the crp and at the end of the milo field. Did see a covey that was 15 birds strong as I was driving, but didn't stop, not sure why but didn't.....
Anyway, the third field, was a native grass field of about shoulder height that ran alongside one of the inlets of the northwest corner of the lake, bordered on the other side by a dirt road and scrub and a tree row. Jet, my lab, got birdy right smack dab in the middle of the field. The helicopter tail got to twirling and the nose stuck to the ground sounding like an oil pump. about 20 yards to my 3oclock a rooster jumps up cackling and I didn't pull the trigger till he was nearly 40 yds out. It was a very marginal shot for me. I use an over and under 20 guage remington spartan with ic choke and 2.75" #5s in the bottom barrell and a mod choke 3" #4s in the top for back up. I am happy to report the the bottom barrell folded him up nicely. The only thing that would have made it prettier is if jet would have brought him back to hand. We both had to make the trekk down to nearly the lake shore to find him in a black locust thorny mess, but we got him, and I will be wearing a smile for just that one bird, at least for the next couple of days. I have been kicking around the idea of a 12 guage auto for my next bird gun, but I think I will hold off for now, maybe next season...........

You had a quality hunting experience, the joy of which was unrelated to the quantity of birds flushed, shot at, or bagged. Those values will leave you a happy hunter about every time.

Back