roll call

Hate to be a downer but, in speaking with our tenant farmer that harvested nearly 5000 acres of corn and another farmer friend (and he is also a big time hunter which is unusual for a farmer) that harvested nearly that much, between the two of them they saw exactly two (2) pheasants and only a couple of small coveys of quail. Land is spread over 5 different counties.

Give me coordinates and permission and I’ll conduct a proper bird inspection on some of that ground this year for you and report back the results.

Weather changed my plans. Looks positively Kansan for this weekend. 80 degrees on opener. I'm still going to get out, after quail in North Central for opening morning, but skipping the trek southwest for the weekend.

The good news is the farmers whose land I hunt in the southwest have reported pheasant numbers similar to last year and significantly more quail.

I’ll skip the crowds this weekend and do some quail hunting around home. Plan on heading west Wednesday morning for a 5 day trip with just me and the dogs.

Back