Roadside Survey is Out

Friend of mine in NW near Hoxie - Hill City area says people cutting corn and beans are not seeing birds. I've come to distrust these surveys.

The state forecast and the Pheasants Forever forecast don’t seem to jive…. Having said that I know someone northeast of dodge a ways and they are seeing more than they have in a few years. But that’s up from next to nothing two years ago.

Talked to a friend around garden city last night said quail have had a nice bump this year, pheasants are a fraction better than last year but that doesn’t take much.

The forecast can be summed up like this, "it's better, and in some areas, a lot better." You have to read to pretty close to see where it also says, "but it's still not very good."

I'm going anyway. Can't drive to SD every weekend.

It doesn't take me much longer to get to Southeast SoDak or SW Minnesota than it does to Western KS. I remember when I first started hunting up that way kind of scoffing at the pheasant hunting in SW Minnesota, but no longer...

It doesn't take me much longer to get to Southeast SoDak or SW Minnesota than it does to Western KS. I remember when I first started hunting up that way kind of scoffing at the pheasant hunting in SW Minnesota, but no longer...

No doubt. I can be in a decent area of SD in 7.5 hours. At this point I am not sure where I would start in Kansas.

Back