Roads

Ynot92

With rain/ snow coming in on Thursday, and recent moisture will we be able to get down the roads out west without a Sherman tank???

I saw some deep ruts on the dirt roads in SW Kansas this past weekend. They have dried up, but they were 6" deep and 75 yards long. I would have been scared if I were making them.

It doesn't take a lot of precip to make the dirt roads slicker than owl sheet, and local landowners don't like you ruttin them up. I used to go down them in my younger days, not quite as mad at them anymore. Plus it's no fun walking up to a farm door asking to get pulled out of the ditch, of the farm road you just tore up. There's lots of public access on gravel.

Be considerate of the locals. It may their door you knock on trying to gain access...or to get pulled out of ditch.

We hunted the opener in 2015 in the NW corner of the state and got caught in the rain prior to the blizzard that dumped 20" of snow. We were in 4 wheel drive doing a couple of miles an hour trying to get to a blacktop road. No luck. We came to a curve and there was no way not to slide into the ditch. Had to walk a long ways to a farm. There was nothing we could do to prevent getting stuck.

We had light rain most of the day today and roads are already torn up. I expect a mess this weekend. Combines couldnt roll today. Farmers still planting wheat.

We had light rain most of the day today and roads are already torn up. I expect a mess this weekend. Combines couldn't roll today. Farmers still planting wheat.

going to be a tough opener for getting around, expect there will be lots of throttle jockeys getting stuck....the gumbo is the worst...you just can't get any traction, not really stuck or buried, just slipping.

What's it like now? Is there snow on the ground? Any chance the roads might freeze?

Snow on the ground that will be melted off tomorrow. Roads will be froze in the morning but will thaw quickly. Plan on getting stuck. I am sure the big groups will make a mess of things.

I'm headed there this weekend, to Jewell county area. We plan on only doing WIHA's. Will the roads be decent around those? I've never been up there before, so not sure what to expect. Thanks!

I'm headed there this weekend, to Jewell county area. We plan on only doing WIHA's. Will the roads be decent around those? I've never been up there before, so not sure what to expect. Thanks!

We just got 4 inches of new snow last night with some rain mixed in.

We just got 4 inches of new snow last night with some rain mixed in.

Yeah, I saw it moving through...we got snow here in SW MO too. However, that doesnt really answer my question about WIHA access roads. Are they mainly gravel type roads or is everything dirt roads up there? Sorry, I was mainly inquiring about the type of roads.

I don’t live up there but have hunted from Hays to Dodge to Pratt..... I don’t recall too many with a gravel base. Seem sandier further south.

You have gravel and you have dirt. You'll quickly be able to tell the difference. There are no special WIHA "access" roads. We're talking unpaved county roads.

Back