River Corps property

Nasty-G

Hi. Thinking of trying the Corps property along the river around Mobridge. No hot spotting but opinion on quality of hunting. Saw a feature on it on Pheasants Forever Tv. Thanks. George.

Hi. Thinking of trying the Corps property along the river around Mobridge. No hot spotting but opinion on quality of hunting. Saw a feature on it on Pheasants Forever Tv. Thanks. George.
NG: Had IN-laws at Mobridge and used to run my Golden along the river -VERY tough going. Trees down, brush piled and tangled. You'll need a boat to meet you, otherwise you have a dead-head walk back.

Aside note: several years ago the pheasants came out of the river bottoms and were being fed in downtown Mobridge.! They were everywhere...

Several years ago buddy and I hunted the Blue Blanket and Waltz Bay Corp areas. It gets hit hard, quite a few birds but they get educated fast, very hard to get close to em, and every yr water levels vary.

I haven't hunted that specific area, but have spent a bit of time along other corps properties on other parts of the river further south. I'm guessing it's about the same... definitely birds there, very hard to get to, hilly, brush, trees, wild flushing. But there are also a lot of birds in the right places. If you are up for a challenge/adventure/memory, go for it. If you looking for easy hunting/easy walking/easy access, skip it.

Discussed that episode in another thread- "Chamberlains-un-hunted-ring-necks". A third of the show was them getting blown off the river by high winds and hitting a walk-in away from the river instead, another third took place on what appeared to me to be a preserve hunt on river front land and one third appeared to be going upriver and just getting a few which was the whole point of the show.

I did hunt cropland between one and ten miles from the river south of Gettysburg, three days in the bad drought year of 201. Limited out each time for the three of us. I also found good bird numbers just outside Mobridge, Hoven and Tolstoy but again, not many in the river ravines but up the hill in the crops. I haven't been back the last couple years but If they could produce birds in a down year with drought, they likely have a huge amount of birds this year like every other place.

Back