Rio & Noblesport shells

Copperboy

Has anyone here tried either of these brand shells on pheasant, especially in their 16 ga. Hivelocity offerings? Thanks in advance

Dakotazeb, Here is a link for Rio. http://www.rioammo.com . Will get back to you with Noble Sport. The Rio is rating them with 1 1/8 oz 3 1/4 powder at 1300 fps., about like an Express. Able ammo is one place I remember off the top of my head that carries them. The Noblesport is a 1 1/16 oz. 3 1/4powder at 1330fps.

Last edited:
The true upland shell for a 16 gauge is 1 1/8 ounce of shot and 3 1/4 DR. EQ powder. 1295 FPS. As the old sayings go; You get what you pay for and Buyer Beware, know your products. I myself have fell for a few of those and I have come away swearing at me for getting them. Also swearing never again. They end costing birds, by crippling or just not strong enough to bring the birds down. The Rio's sound ok, but I don't think when all is considered. They are worth the risk of have your hunt ruined by poor shells ....Bob

Last edited:
Bob, I agree with you. I don't see anything about the Rio that would make me want to use them over the usual brands like Remington, Federal, Winchester, Fiocchi, etc.

Have you tried the Federal Pheasants Forever HV loads with 1 1/8 oz. of copper plated shot at 1,425 fps? The Pheasants Forever HV loads in 12 ga. are all I shoot for pheasants and swear by them. My only concern with the 16's might be recoil in a lightweight double. Guess I'll find out this fall. :)

I'll also be using the Federal Ultra-Shock HV steel as I hunt a lot of public land. Sure wish there were more options out there for non-tox in 16 ga.

Only a little over 2 months and I can get both my new Citori 16 ga. and my new pup in the field for some sharpies.

George, The closest I have tried to them is the Winchester Pheasant 20 gauge 1300FPS 1 ounce of #5 copper plated shot. They work pretty well. My son is the one that got them on season closeout a few years ago. He got a case of them for $90. He is now complaining they are slapping him to much, so who knows. I may end up with a few boxes. He was in a car accident and his neck is goofed up and that is what he is saying the recoil is hurting.....Bob

Last edited:
I bought a bunch of RIO's in 12 and 20 a few years ago because they were cheap. I used them for a few years and they worked fine. They are not a box of Win Supreme but they are not a bad shell by any means.

I use RIO #6 when I can get them as my general small upland load (when I got out I might see ruffed grouse, woodcock, snipe or hare in thick cover, hence the #6 12 gauge load). I like this load a lot for this purpose, but I don't use it for pheasant (no particular reason, except that I have a pheasant load that I like already from Kent). Weird to say, but one of the things that I like about the RIO is that the shells are blue. I know at a glance what shell is in my vest (the Kent pheasant shells are red).
-Croc

Thanks for all the replies & info. Crockett I was curious which Kent load you use for Pheasant, the Traditional Upland @ 1330fps. or the baby mag or ? Did the Rio stop the Hares in their tracks? I hunt rabbit alot, all varieties when I have the chance to travel with my Beagles to do so, & I figure if they anchor Hare then Cottontail & Swampers should not be a problem either. Moellermd I greatly appreciate you sharing your actual field experiences as well. I hate buying ammo I have never tried in the offseason in case lots shipped. The only places I found these 2 brands I would hafto have them shipped & their shipping for a box or two is as high as a case. Any more info. is GREATLY APPRECIATED

Rio is distributed by Able. Last year our gun club was offering the Rio target loads very cheap, about $4.50 a box. 1-1/8 oz at 1200fps. Not a bad load at all. I now wish I would have picked up several cases of them, haven't heard anything about their hunting loads.

Back