Ride tru the WPRA (heavy photos)

25ott6

Well with no flushing this week Drake and I went for a ride. (Sorry the lighting was bad)The first place we went we were disappointed the all the cover was gone as far as the eye could see what a shame we always put 20 some birds off this area. So we went on and saw a few around the Bowersox area. The cover was good some places sparse in others. Then heading home we ran into 3 birds that were on the PPL land.

Last edited:
Hey, you must of been reading my mind! I was thinking about doing the same thing. Sure looks like cover is in short supply. Those birds look awesome! :10sign: Thanks a ton for this Post. :cheers:

Had Dugan out in a nearby area, no birds just a couple of rabbits but it was good to get out.

I beleave that first photo was the first place I saw Dugan. I new right away he was a bird machine.. some where I have that on video..Lol

I beleave that first photo was the first place I saw Dugan. I new right away he was a bird machine.. some where I have that on video..Lol

Thanks for the kind words! I remember that day as well, and right back at you, I could tell you and Drake had something special going on, I loved the control and his attention towards only you. Man..where does the time go!

These are fine pictures and healthy looking birds no doubt. But to me they don't resemble the Ringneck that evolved in Pennsylvania over the many decades. Those birds were MUCH darker and smaller in the chest, with a bluer back and rump. The wild birds we hunt now in Pa. would never get caught out in the open like that. It will be interesting to see how these birds evolve to the new habitat and enviroment here in the East over time.
Still love the pictures!

Very nice:thumbsup:! Those roosters look like they may have Montana bloodlines. Did this area receive birds from Mt by chance?

Nick

Not sure where they were from you may be right. funny thing about being out in the open if you even drove the truck within a hundred yards they flew very spooky birds. Photos not great bad light and 150yrds away.

Very nice:thumbsup:! Those roosters look like they may have Montana bloodlines. Did this area receive birds from Mt by chance?

Nick

Yes, the area did recieve birds from Montana. Although I'm not sure which farms got the Montana birds. I think early on some farms recieved birds from South Dakota.
Do you think there is much of a difference in birds from Montana and South Dakota?

These are fine pictures and healthy looking birds no doubt. But to me they don't resemble the Ringneck that evolved in Pennsylvania over the many decades. Those birds were MUCH darker and smaller in the chest, with a bluer back and rump. The wild birds we hunt now in Pa. would never get caught out in the open like that. It will be interesting to see how these birds evolve to the new habitat and enviroment here in the East over time.
Still love the pictures!

FLDBRED, It's funny you say that. My Uncle and his friend were looking at the pictures and said almost the same thing. They remember the heydays when wild pheasants were everywhere. I wonder how long it will take for these birds to resemble the old Pa. ringnecks, or if they ever will.

FLDBRED, It's funny you say that. My Uncle and his friend were looking at the pictures and said almost the same thing. They remember the heydays when wild pheasants were everywhere. I wonder how long it will take for these birds to resemble the old Pa. ringnecks, or if they ever will.

Even within Pa. there were variations of the wild pheasants. We did most of our hunting in the South East in counties like Berks, Lancaster, and Lehigh. It seemed like as soon as you got on the other side of the Blue MTS. the birds changed not only in the way they looked but also in there habits. We often wondered if it was becuase of different ancestors or the enviroment that they lived in.

Back