Retirement gift for me!

Upland gun company is a relatively new company to the custom gun market but price point and what you get they are hard to beat. I would highly recommend attending Pheasant Fest as they have a booth there with numerous guns and fitment experts there that can talk you through everything! My buddy almost bought one, had it all picked out with all his options and his wife at the last second decided they needed to purchase some of equal $ so it got put on hold. But I have seen and held their guns, and they are very nice! if you're looking for an off the shelf gun, you really can't go wrong with Beretta or Brownings for O/U's. I have my dad's Citori that he passed down to me after he passed, and it will forever be a family gun. I also have a beretta silver pigeon which is very nice and a Franchi Instinct. The Franchi's are kind of a hidden gem because they make numerous grades with some really nice features and are very reasonably priced.
I so appreciate everyones responses. I held a Franchi Instinct L and loved it so much. Not sure if It's what I want or not yet though.

Chances of finding one 3K-3.5K? One's i'm seeing are 8,500. Beautiful guns for sure!
The basic Beretta o/u is the Silver Pigeon which Cabelas sells for $2500. The Citori 725 is priced about the same. Both fine guns.

Last edited:
I'm about to retire from the Air Force, and am thinking about a new O/U or S/S as a retirement gift for myself (no, I'm not a narcissist).

I've been looking into a sporting gun, that I could use in the field as well, and I don't have high end money (Perrazi/Kreigoff). I started going down the path of a high end Yildiz or Huglu, but after some research, realize they are not available here in the US. When I say high end, I mean grade 4 or 5 walnut, just to be clear.

Easy answer is just spend the money and buy either a Citori or a Berretta. I'm wanting something that when handed down to one of my son's, their reaction is "wow". Not collector grade, but a field gun that shoots and looks the part.

I do appreciate everyone's time, and look forward to your responses. For a little clarity, I have shot trap and skeet in the past, but once retired would like to start shooting some sporting clays.

well deserved

Check out Joel Etchen Guns and his signature Beretta's. They usually have upgraded wood and you can even get 20/28 gauge combo sets. You can also search via online and pick the actual gun/wood you want. Otherwise Caeser Guerini has some nice field guns in that $3k-4k range.
I checked them out....WOW! 3-4K can buy a lot of gun, and i'm more than willing to buy used.

Browning Gran Lightning
I have one in 16 ga nice wood
I think they are around $3k
Not sure why I have it as it never gets used
Use my white lightning 16 great gun
I love the Gran Lightnings, and the grade VI is simply amazing....a little pricey, but I'm sure worth it. I was even looking at the B15 and B25's, but way out of my price range.

You do realize Browning offers grades higher then the Citori?
So I am seeing some of their higher end shotguns with beautiful wood for 4-5 grand....may have to re-think my budget. I found a site (can't remember off of the top of my head) that offer some higher end wood for Berretta 680 series shotguns, so I could get say a 687 for around 2,500, spend another 1K on upgraded wood and be set.

So I am seeing some of their higher end shotguns with beautiful wood for 4-5 grand....may have to re-think my budget. I found a site (can't remember off of the top of my head) that offer some higher end wood for Berretta 680 series shotguns, so I could get say a 687 for around 2,500, spend another 1K on upgraded wood and be set.
If wanting to go that route watch Etchens website as they will have exactly that come through and make the process easier for you.

Here is a pretty good looking gun at a real good price considering the adjustable comb and the number of chokes included. Plus Bass Pro/Cabelas will ship it for free if there is one of their stores close to you.

that does look like a good buy. those protruding choke tubes are nice; no need for a tool and much handier for changing chokes while afield.

Last edited:
I'm about to retire from the Air Force, and am thinking about a new O/U or S/S as a retirement gift for myself (no, I'm not a narcissist).

I've been looking into a sporting gun, that I could use in the field as well, and I don't have high end money (Perrazi/Kreigoff). I started going down the path of a high end Yildiz or Huglu, but after some research, realize they are not available here in the US. When I say high end, I mean grade 4 or 5 walnut, just to be clear.

Easy answer is just spend the money and buy either a Citori or a Berretta. I'm wanting something that when handed down to one of my son's, their reaction is "wow". Not collector grade, but a field gun that shoots and looks the part.

I do appreciate everyone's time, and look forward to your responses. For a little clarity, I have shot trap and skeet in the past, but once retired would like to start shooting some sporting clays.
Thank you for your years of service and congrat on your pending retirement. There are alot of great guns in your price range, if you are looking for a true dual purpose sporting/field gun then I would recommend staying with an O/U as it will provide more options. I really don't know of any current sporting sxs guns being manufactured. Just my 2 cents. Again, thank you for you service to our great country.

Back