Retired and ready???

Labman500

:)This is my first post on this website, so I say HI to all. I have just retired after 32 years teaching in the public school system in Indiana. I have alway been an avid upland and water fowl hunter. I have hunted wild birds in Iowa for several years on private land but have lost that land due to the farmers taking the land out of CRP. I am now ready to make the trip out to SD since I have more time. I know it is early yet but I am getting the itch to get out there to hunt. For ages I have read about, seen shows about and heard stories about the great pheasant hunting that SD has. Now its my turn to experience this for myself. Time of year and area is a non factor for me. I am interested in hearing any information that you folks can offer me on when, and where to hunt. I would like to hunt private property and would be willing to pay a fair tresspass fee. I would like to also hunt public grounds. I may stay a couple of weeks in a area or may move around the state after a few days stay in a specific area.I really dont like hunting in large groups but would enjoy hooking up with somebody that would like to join me and maybe become pheasant hunting buddies ( always looking for new pheasant hunting friends that have the passion for bird hunting like I do). I have 2 very good labs and will be hunting with a good friend on the trip. I know that the bird counts arent out so picking a good area with high bird numbers wont be possible just yet but I would like to hear what you have to say. I look forward to hearing from those that can offer any info. Take Care

Labman500

Last edited:
Welcome, Labman500. UPH members will be helping you with info. Sounds like you have a good plan going. Don't worry about the high pheasant population areas, lots of hunting pressure will even out the bird populations in a hurry. :) With 2 good Labs I would get to know the public areas not worry about pay to hunt stuff. Be ready to work for it and you'll find birds, after all, the limit is only 3 per day on pheasants. :cheers:

Welcome to this forum, there are lots of really nice folks over here.

Sweet, retired and a pheasant hunter. When I retired (company let go of 15,000 employees including me) at the start of hunting season I thought I had entered heaven. But, around the third or fourth day I started getting a little burned out from hunting so much. The morning of the fifth day I headed back home for a little break. I guess it would be like eating the best steak three meals everyday. After a little while a guy needs a little change.

Enjoy your retirement and stay healthy so you can do what you like.

Bilbo:

You retired about 15 years too late!

You are going to run into the same CRP Problems in SD that you did in Iowa years ago.

The 2012 General Sign up results just came out and it was nothing short of a disaster for SD & ND as evidenced by the following stats:

State 2012 Expiring Acres 2012 Accepted Acres

SD 225,000 55,000

ND 840,000 190,000

What I am telling you is that it is just about over...you had better hurry.

Bilbo:

You retired about 15 years too late!

You are going to run into the same CRP Problems in SD that you did in Iowa years ago.

The 2012 General Sign up results just came out and it was nothing short of a disaster for SD & ND as evidenced by the following stats:

State 2012 Expiring Acres 2012 Accepted Acres

SD 225,000 55,000

ND 840,000 190,000

What I am telling you is that it is just about over...you had better hurry.

Sorry I meant to address Labman.

Thanks for information and PM,s that I have recieved. I have gotten some good information that will be helpfull in my planning of my fall trip to SD. Any other info will be helpfull so please keep it coming. Thanks again.

I to like the 4-5 day trips, cover a lot of ground, tired out, home to rest up a few days then off again. My travel is like 12 hrs each way. On the way Out I'm planning where I want to go this trip, on the way home I'm planning the next trip. I like to hit lots of different areas and explore.:)

Labman500,
welcome aboard, there is alots of good info and great guys on here, but unfortunately they won't tell anyone where their honey holes are at :)
Where do you live in Indiana, my hunting buddys live in Salem and around Bedford. My brother lives in Shelbyville.We have been going to SD for a few years now but have missed the last two years do to the economy and tight budgets.

Welcome aboard Labman500. I'm from Indiana myself. I live in the northeastern part of the state.

Back