Residents Only Opener

pheasantaddict

I would like to see a Residents Only Opener for the state of Iowa. I see states like SD and ND have it. I think it is a good idea to give residents of the state first chance at the birds especially on public ground. SD and ND people how do like it? Iowa residents what do you think?

South Dakotas resident only opener is for public land only.. They cannot hunt private land.

Myself, I don't have a problem with the way it is/was, always has been.

I must admit, though, This is the first year in 5 that I have bought a Iowa license, so I am kind of out of touch with the situation, but I didn't see much pressure where I hunted.. from either residents, or non residents..

Im not a big fan of Resident openers but I would like to see a youth pheasant weekend in MN like SD has

There are quite a few Kansans who would agree! I'm happy to restrict non-residents from Missouri. We get a hole bunch of turkey and deer hunters, and every waterfowl show I see is filmed in Missouri. I believe that a lot of out of staters own duck clubs here, including quite a few in mine! By the way owning land and paying taxes will not assuredly get you a season long pass for waterfowl, or get you access to the "resident only", pheasant season. In North Dakota, owning a waterfowl area will not get you a season permit, you get a 7 day permit like any old, non-resident applicant. In North Dakota, you can hunt pheasants in the "resident only" season, on your own land. I asked both game departments, and I said no thanks! North Dakota had an amendment in the state house to allow season waterfowl permits to non residents, but it was defeated. In Iowa, I assume you know that on ground I own as a non-resident, I can hunt without a permit from the state, that is on only my own ground. I find that an equitable solution. Would for all the states. i have encouraged The Missouri department of conservation to spread out the deer and turkey season to allow for 2-5 day permits for residents from North or South Dakota, starting time 10-12 noon daily, after a 2 week resident only season, long enough to harvest the young or stupid and send the survivors off the reservation and back in the hills! For many years, by the way, I purchase a non-resident Iowa lisence anyway. I guess I feel that game laws provisions are to safeguard the game, not just select the bounty to a chosen few, I think I remember some idea of equality in our principles, not some George Orwell, 1984, " All animals equal, except pigs are more equal than the other animals"

I would oppose it. Spending time with friends that have since moved is one of the key features of the opening weekend.

What SD and ND do are in my opinion, dick moves. Perhaps hunters should just quit turning on themselves.

I would support a system where the license price and opening dates are the same as what your state charges/limits Iowans to do the same.

in the end, it really doesn't matter...with a huge out state influx of hunters, they do give the local guy a little relief...either way, it means little to me as a NR.

I think this is kind of like debating how to control the Mt. Lion population in Iowa. Sure, we have a few here and there but is it really an issue??? Are you guys really getting boxed out of your favorite spots by NR? And if so, is it enough that it is worth sending all of their money somewhere else?

Seriously, with bird numbers what they are and have been for the better part of the last decade I would be willing to bet the NR bird hunter numbers have declined by 60 to 70%. I am sure the exact numbers are on the IA DNR site somewhere but I really dont want to go find them. This may have been something to discuss and consider in the "glory days" but now, I dont think it is even an issue.

I personally know ALOT of guys that used to road trip to Iowa for bird hunting that have not been in many, many years. They either head to South Dakota or Kansas, although Kansas has been no great destination for a number of years now as well.

Anyway, just my two cents but I really dont think it is a big enough issue to even consider a NR only opener.

It seems to be a good idea then. An Opener where residents only can hunt public land that weekend. Non residents still can hunt on the opening weekend just not on public ground. They still have the same number of hunting days around 70 days. The local people who have donated the land, contributed effort and finances to these projects, and area youth are given first chance. Thanks for replies now let's get this into legislation.

I agree with those who say don't restrict. It helps the state economy. I can't imagine the amount of money South Dakota misses out on every year by only allowing X number of out of state waterfowl permits now that the migration has pushed further west. I know I'd be headed there to stay with family and enjoy some hunting every year, instead I go to other states and spend my money that I'm guaranteed to hunt when I want/can.

i'll stir this up what do you guys think of iowa useing the revenue from hunting licence fee's both non res. and local to build bike paths with? when they should be useing it for our public land/habitat. with our birs numbers the way they are right now i wouldnt be to concerned about non resident hunters.

Pretty ridiculous if that's true, given we're the 49th state in the country for public land. I guess I'm not a huge biker, but have family and friends that are....seems like they have plenty of places they can ride.

I'm not from Iowa, but have friends and relatives there. I've hunted two opening weekends and saw very few other hunters. Seems to me the out of state pressure goes to the Dakotas. We're hunting all private land, but in the hotel we stay in there's only one other small group. Not like SD where it's hunters everywhere and people being rude around the opener.

I'm headed for Iowa tomorrow and will be hunting Sat-Sun on family lands. Monday by myself on public access lands. I don't expect to see much hunting pressure.

I would oppose it. Spending time with friends that have since moved is one of the key features of the opening weekend.

What SD and ND do are in my opinion, dick moves. Perhaps hunters should just quit turning on themselves.

I would support a system where the license price and opening dates are the same as what your state charges/limits Iowans to do the same.

Ditto! I like the way you think!:10sign:

Back