Reports ? Combo Quail/Pheasant reality ?

Brad6260

Hi gang.
Got a group going out late season that wants to focus more on quail than pheasant. I have pheasant hunted the public areas around Russell and Glen Elder for many years but based on the forecast I am wondering if we would be better to target the Arlington/Hutchinson areas for better combo chances? In the real world are folks seeing significantly better quail numbers coming off the Southcentral (Arlington/Hutchinson) areas vs Central (Russell) to N Central ?

What say the foot soldiers ?

Thanks.

I would expect the Hutch/Arlington area to hold more quail, but less pheasants. That's a generalization of course. There will be pockets in the area that are outstanding for one or the other, maybe even both. However, there isn't much WIHA or public land in the Hutch/Arlington area. What little there is will have been hunted hard by late season.

Troy, aka Prairie Drifter on this site, manages the Byron Walker wildlife area in Kingman county. This wildlife area is SSW of Arlington, due west of Kingman (the town). He has written several times about the impact of hunting pressure on his area's quail populations. "Not a good public-land bird", I think he has written, especially so close to Wichita.

Seeing low pheasant numbers in NW. Saw a covey of quail while scouting the day before the season started, but have not seen a quail since.

UPDATE: Hunted afternoon of 12-11 and all day 12-12 in NW and did not get a single shot. My hunting buddy fired one shot.

Last edited:
Quail in SE is best it has been for a number of years. Not having any luck finding pheasants in North Central KS.:mad:

i hunted nc ks. thanksgiving week. we saw 1 small covey, the only pheasant were seen on the road and i believe they were released birds for a lease. not even many rabbit.

Quail in SE is best it has been for a number of years. Not having any luck finding pheasants in North Central KS.:mad:

Good to hear. I have a "hunt every county in Kansas" dream and have never hunted south of Franklin County or east of I-35.

Jewell county report

Pheasant number still low but up compaired to crash of 2012/ 2013. quail numbers are the best I have ever seen. Hunted the first week ended up with 7 quail and four pheasants in two days of hunting. Pockets here and there, good news the coveys were huge and I saw a enough hen pheasants to give me hope for the future. I also bumped good bird numbers while deer hunting last week.
Tom

Had to make a trip out of state to get the new pup some experience on pheasant. Will try the South West part of KS a little later this month and report back.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm thinking my best option might be to stay in the familiar surroundings of Russell where I can always be assured of a great meal at Meridy's but figure on an hour or so drive south to check out some new quail territory in the mornings.

Speaking of Meridy's .....a bit of trivia. I'll buy dinner for the first person that can answer what connection Meridy's has to my home state of KY.
The answer is kinda cool.

Meridy's...

James Richard Line was originally from Russell, KS.....he attend UK and played basketball for the CATS and coach Rupp on the great national champion teams of the late 40's. He had four children and one of them was named Meridy.....hope that's close enough to get a cup of coffee?

SON OF A BITCH... I was certain no one would come up with that Gent.
Congrats and please be honest. Did you really know it or go Google on it?
In any case I'll gladly pick up the coffee and dinner tab. Meridy is alive and well and has a great place there. Have you been ? Can't wait to go out in a few weeks to chase late season birds and see her. My last time out she talked in detail about her dad and the UK connection with great pride. They had been out for a reunion and said it was fantastic.
I also am looking forward to handing her a gift I was able to get through connections at the University. An original copy of the 1948 UK Year book with her dad,
Rupp, Fab four, the bear etc. A very cool read.

Regards,

Merdies

I am still full from eating their opening weekend for lunch on my way through. And the people that you meet there.always feel at home when I stop there.

Its as great for breakfast as it is for a drink and steak dinner at the end of the day.
For years I hunted around Cawker City and it is still my favorite bird habitat but the lack of a decent meal and place to stay drove me away and down to Russell.

Is the north side cafe closed in cawker city now? My grandma lived there. I ate a lot of meals there over the years. Haven't been back since 2006 in the daylight .

All - heading to Russell tonight for a couple days with my cousin. Curious which direction from there you all would recommend to get a better chance at birds, quail, chicken, or pheasant...dogs don't care which nor do I for that matter. It's been years since we've hit Kansas and are looking forward to a hunt.

Also, all this talk about food has me hungry...any recommendations on meals in the area are appreciated too. Thanks!

All - heading to Russell tonight for a couple days with my cousin. Curious which direction from there you all would recommend to get a better chance at birds, quail, chicken, or pheasant...dogs don't care which nor do I for that matter. It's been years since we've hit Kansas and are looking forward to a hunt.

Also, all this talk about food has me hungry...any recommendations on meals in the area are appreciated too. Thanks!

I can't tell you which way to head but I am planning on going there next week with my son so let me know how you do.

I'll add my vote for meridys for food. The fossil station had a decent pizza buffet last time I wasth there as well.

Sounds good, thx for recommendations. We'll just pic a direction and try to cover ground. I'll report back.

Thanks

Back