Reports and pictures

It’s unmarked as far as maker. Some of the German gun gurus on some other forums said Sauer or Simson action then finished by others. I’d have to go find that post for the specifics. Fun little gun to carry all day.

Since cheesy is on a plane for Utah, I went and looked up the info.
They thought that the action was obtained as a rough forging from Sauer and finished by Oscar Will (Venus Gun Works), proofed in 1919. Krupp Steel barrels, joined by Max Morrow, Nitro proofed.
Once he gets it to a qualified smith for an action tear down and clean, some repair, and glass the stock head to the action to save the wood, it will be a real solid hunting gun.

Cold and windy Saturday. Killed a few birds. The scenting conditions for the dogs was poor. Birds held really tight. Sunday morning hunt was cold with the storm front coming in. Managed to kill a few before heading back to the panhandle of Texas. 9 hunters 5 dogs. 15 birds.

Rescue brittany pup showed out as a true hunter. Pointed a group of six in the first field in Sheridan Co. Field coverage, kochia patch invasion, and obedience all excellent. She also hunted independently of my buddy's two-year-old setter, although she did bark at them once which made us laugh. Not retrieving yet, but she found them. She loves to hunt.

Hunted private Sat. and one walk-in field Sun. morning. Came home with three pheasants and two quail. If I had not missed I would have six pheasants, so the opportunities were good.

Last edited:
Yea, my son's figuring it out.... if he is shooting at a bird and it falls, he's pretty confident its his. Doesn't matter how many people shoot. He did connect on a couple on his own though. He's kind of possessive of those roosters! Ol Buddy will pose. Pup must be physically restrained for photos though. She's 5 years old going on 3 months... Pup won't grow out of her.

hunted some wiha for a bit monday and most of the day yesterday in Washington/Marshall county. saw one rooster, and got into two coveys of quail that had seemed to already been hit pretty hard over the weekend. saw 4-5 other trucks hunting Monday, none on Tuesday. Really enjoyed watching my young pup start figuring things out.

hunted some wiha for a bit monday and most of the day yesterday in Washington/Marshall county. saw one rooster, and got into two coveys of quail that had seemed to already been hit pretty hard over the weekend. saw 4-5 other trucks hunting Monday, none on Tuesday. Really enjoyed watching my young pup start figuring things out.

Yeah those WIHA's always get hit hard. I hunt private ground up there and am always shocked at how many ppl I see hunting those WIHAs.

Just got back from hunting three full days in NW Kansas. Damn it was cold Saturday. We got a ton of quail. Pheasants seemed about the same as last year.

Ranger, thanks for the pics. Good looking set of dogs- looked like same kind of areas of habitat where we found our coveys

I have only had setters and English pointers. I got to hunt with a couple of shorthairs on my trip to Kansas and I kinda liked them. I might add one to our mix of setters and pointers. I like how they are cautious and hunt dead. I like the pointers for covey finds- sometimes GPS had them at 300 yds plus pointed. Birds almost always there when we arrive. Those are awesome pics and dogs are handsome.

I have only had setters and English pointers. I got to hunt with a couple of shorthairs on my trip to Kansas and I kinda liked them. I might add one to our mix of setters and pointers. I like how they are cautious and hunt dead. I like the pointers for covey finds- sometimes GPS had them at 300 yds plus pointed. Birds almost always there when we arrive. Those are awesome pics and dogs are handsome.

Do it. GSP's are great dogs, I've been around them my whole life and really understand them. My veteran (the darker one) tends to leave people in awe and my pup (now 11 months) is doing things it takes years to learn. I wasn't taking pics when my pup had the find, wanted to make sure the bird went in the bag. If he continues to progress like he has I'll probably offer him for stud services in a few years. If you decide to add one look for a line bred dog with the traits you want.

some of us hunted around south central KS all day Fri & half day Sat on private ground. Based on hunting that same ground in years past I'd say number were pretty comparative. Maybe a little fewer phez and a slight uptick in the quail numbers but nothing noticeable different.

There is nothing better than watching your dogs have good days in the field whether it be a nice retrieve, a solid point, or a long track on a wounded phez. View attachment 8859View attachment 8861View attachment 8862

Last edited:
Back