Report from Hill City

I have hunted the Hill City area for two days. Staying at the Fairgrounds in an RV. Bird numbers are not great, not awful.

I lost a good part of today because of an equipment issue. I am handicapped by lack of knowlege of the area (first time in the midwest for me), no local contacts, hunting alone (but with a pretty good wirehair), and in my later 60's so I do not have the stamina to go hard all day. Still I picked up a bird today and had a chance for a second that I messed up.

The WIHAs have been hunted, but there are birds there. I can see that private land would be more productive. Still I am seeing relatively few hunters, and the number and size of areas to hunt is amazing. Anyone who likes solitude and the ability to drive and find areas to hunt without the problems of finding owners and getting permission should come here while it lasts.

I have been hunting within a few miles of Hill City. I think I will go about 20 miles eest or north tomorrow.

If anyone wants to join me for a day let me know. I will be here thru next weekend (maybe longer depending on the storm that is supposed to arrive about Wednesday!)

Yeah there is still snow here about 4-6 inches in most places with the pretty regular drift from time to time. Use caution on the roads out here after 10 am while the temps keep creeping above freezing as they turn to soup.

Sounds like a pheasant race track.. They sure can run on snow that has a nice hard crust on top...

Ditto what Swellcat said. I enjoyed your report too. Heck, you might just as well stay in Kansas as long as you can and enjoy yourself. I don't find the enjoyment by the miles I can pound away each day though relentless hard walking, but rather just enjoy the walking that feels good to my body. I'm glad you are finding some birds.

Go west of Hill City and you should see some more birds than going east. If you have no luck tomorrow send me a PM I may be able to guide you to a few spots.

zeepo

Welcome to the UPH forum, come back often and join in on the general conversation.......Bob

Welcome to the site. Glad you joined. Planning a trip week after next, and I know conditions can change, but it's great to have the report. Hope you enjoy our group and looking forward to hearing from you often. Good luck and have a Great Holiday!

Merry Christmas
Rod​

Just got back last night from a 6 day hunt in the Hill City area. Stayed in Trego at the Butterfield Trail Bunkhouse. Of the 6 days, 3 of us spent 4 of them in the Hill City Area. We hunted SE of Cedar Bluff and W of Cedar Bluff with poor results. The area W of Hill City provided us with the best shooting. We killed 22 phez and 12 quail. We even got set up on some praire chickens just south of Penokee, but they outsmarted us southern boys.
One day we headed up to the Norton area with dismal results. Thu. and Fri., the snow was melting fast and the roads got very slick and made for some slow 4wd action. The hunting pressure was down from 2 weeks prior and many of the phez were bunched up in what we called "blackbush". I think it was actually plum thickets. It was common for 10 or more to come out of 1 bush. :D

Only 1 plot had descent cover. It was a stubble field with a few strips of standing milo. we shot 2 phez and 2 quail out of it one day and 1 phez and 2 quail off of it 2 days later. Had plenty of muleys though. The rates were good and so was the breakfast. And she let the dogs stay inside.

Welcome to Kansas

Welcome all hunters to the great and hospitable state of Kansas. The birds are bunched in this cold, winter weather. When not feeding in the milo and corn stalks, they will be loafing in the fire weeds and the plum thickets. They roost in tall grass. Be stealthy when approaching weeds or plums because the birds can see through the stems. There are plenty of good walk in spots in Graham Co. (Hill City). Pick some stalks near grass and hunt the draws on rough ground near stalks midday and late afternoon. Last weekend I saw birds come out of stalks to roost at 3 pm. Good luck!

Last edited:
I have hunted the Hill City area for two days. Staying at the Fairgrounds in an RV. Bird numbers are not great, not awful.

If anyone wants to join me for a day let me know. I will be here thru next weekend (maybe longer depending on the storm that is supposed to arrive about Wednesday!)

I just got back home from that area. Too bad I didn't see this sooner. I wasn't too far from you & 2 old guys and 2 bearded dogs out in the field would have been fun.

You may have been wise to leave. I went out this morning with high hopes and got totally completely and absolutely lost! Visibilty was less than 100 yards, the wind was blowing and I missed a turn or road somewhere in the dark. Eventually I turned on the GPS and returned to camp to regroup and start over this afternoon. It would really be not fun to get lost out in a section somewhere and have to walk the perimeter to find the truck!!

From what I see and the reports it could get pretty ugly the next day or two. However the birds should get a bit of a rest and by Friday or Saturday it is supposed to be clear and cold with snow. Should be fun.

I did look over 3 or 4 places very close to main roads I can hunt even if most other roads are closed by drifts.

This is still a great place!

Back