Report - First Opening Weekend

NEBirder

Well, my son and I experienced our first SD opener. We drove up on Friday and stayed the night in Butte, NE. We were planning on hunting walk-in areas near Fairfax and Bonesteel, but scouting them on Friday evening we realized they were grazed heavily and didn't look too promising. So, on Saturday we drove through Winner and then north to the Fort Pierre Grasslands. We did hunt some walk-ins on the way up and did flush pheasants and grouse, but out of range. Cover was thin. Hunted the Grasslands, which was awesome. But again, grouse flushed wild. We did shoot a few prairie dogs and managed one rooster on walk-in. Overall, it was a good trip. Saw and learned a lot and didn't feel like there was too much pressure or crowds. It's big country. I'll be back to this area in the future.

Well, my son and I experienced our first SD opener. We drove up on Friday and stayed the night in Butte, NE. We were planning on hunting walk-in areas near Fairfax and Bonesteel, but scouting them on Friday evening we realized they were grazed heavily and didn't look too promising. So, on Saturday we drove through Winner and then north to the Fort Pierre Grasslands. We did hunt some walk-ins on the way up and did flush pheasants and grouse, but out of range. Cover was thin. Hunted the Grasslands, which was awesome. But again, grouse flushed wild. We did shoot a few prairie dogs and managed one rooster on walk-in. Overall, it was a good trip. Saw and learned a lot and didn't feel like there was too much pressure or crowds. It's big country. I'll be back to this area in the future.
You may not have been in traditional pheasant habitat?? I could be wrong…glad you did it and enjoyed!

You may not have been in traditional pheasant habitat?? I could be wrong…glad you did it and enjoyed!
Yes, nontraditional! I hunt the far eastern side of the state every late season, and it's mainly cattails and heavier cover. I always enjoy hunting pheasants in areas where it looks and is, more like grouse habitat!

Back