Removal of weed barriers around trees?

Bob

Anyone else getting concerned with the non deterioation of the weed barriers around their trees? As my trees are growing I'm getting concerned with the plastic actually girding my trees! I was told intially by the NRCS office that the plastic was to break down and be a non issue in five to ten years due to sunlight breaking down the fibers. I just don't see much happening. I have put a bunch of work into getting these trees growing to date and I'm getting worried. I'm think about ripping my weed barriers out. Anyone else done the same? If you did what was your mode of removing them?

Last edited:
The weed barriers will expand as the trees grow. If You see a problem just cut a slot in the plastic a couple inches from the trunk out. That would prevent girding.

I don't think they appear to stretch at all. Bending over slicing 2943 holes larger in a tree belt is maybe more than I'm capable at this age. I think I'm going to hook the tractor or pickup onto the fabric and hit the throttle hard. We'll see what happens. I never liked the plastic look under the trees anyway.

Bob, our NRCS has identified that what you describe is a real issue and threat to health of trees.

What they do is hook end of fabric to tractor and pull but they cut a slice at each tree.

Let us know how you method works.

I have started to cut the holes bigger around my trees and I'm finding that it is a necessary thing to do--one more year and I'm sure I would have had some loss in my row of Russian Olive, not doing it myself as I have hired one the local young men to do the work :rolleyes:

I have not used the stuff. I've seen a lot of wildlife plots in Western ND and MT with 20-30 year old trees on public land. The stuff looks like it's deteriorating? Grass growing through it, trees look good.
Funny, good looking Russian Olives:) On the Federal Land, being dozed and cut out now. :eek:
Made wonderful Habitat.:confused:

I have not used the stuff. I've seen a lot of wildlife plots in Western ND and MT with 20-30 year old trees on public land. The stuff looks like it's deteriorating? Grass growing through it, trees look good.
Funny, good looking Russian Olives:) On the Federal Land, being dozed and cut out now. :eek:
Made wonderful Habitat.:confused:

Russian Olive does not play like a obedient young child--it tries to grow where it is not wanted--so lets not treat the local disobedient ones ,lets kill the whole lot--typical government fix--ya know cut off the arm because there is a hang nail on a finger. STUPID--don't get me started:rolleyes:

There is a woody stemmed weed ,heath aster, that is native to much of the Midwest and I've seen where it provides good cover and some degree of food for pheasants and song birds in mid winter yet the federal registry for the plant does not mention those qualities. It's drought resistant, sturdy against wind and snow, open near the base and allows other plants to grow and critters to live under it, it grows in dry and moist soils. Late season this past January it's the cover that consistently held birds, pheasants and song birds, in one of the areas that I hunt. One thing the federal registry mentions is that the plant is poor forage for grazing animals. The plant is listed as a noxious weed in Nebraska. The fact that it serves less purpose or competes with forage grasses may be why it's given short shrift. At least I think the significance of the plant's value for a wide range of wildlife and soil stabilization should be reviewed. I suspect this is probably also true for a number of other plants for similar reasons.

Back