Remi in her first 3 weeks with us

outdoorslife89

Hey gang. Its only been a little over 3 weeks since we brought Remi home and I just wanted to give an update on our/her progress. I purchased Tom Dokkens material to get us started with the process and to have something as reference as we move forward with our training.

She has been such a great addition to our family in such little time. All in all she is responding to the basic obedience training well. Right away, I have shown her "pressure on pressure off" and she seems to understand this, as we plan on using this tactic when we transition to leash and then e collar training down the road. She has picked up "come", then "sit", then "kennel" in short order. She will either sleep in the kennel or with us(in the beginning), she doesnt seem to care, as long as she gets her sleep lol! For a couple weeks now, we have been sticking with the kennel since she picked up the command so easily and willingly. Anytime of the day or night, she willingly heads in when prompted to. Good girl Remi...

She was introduced to her first pheasant wing not this past weekend, but the weekend before. WOW! With her first introduction, she got extremely fired up and it was a joy to see! It didnt take her long thats for sure. At first, she barked at it, pounced on it and had a very excited posture...butt up tail pointing in what looked to be, "I dk what this is, but I want it!" I let her be for a little, then teased her and repeated this...no forcing anything. I say that because as I continue to dig for information, it seems many have no patience with mans best friend and try forcing a lot of things. I saw one thread somewhere on the net where someone was opening the dogs mouth and shoving the wing in there...then later saw it mentioned in one of the dvd's I bought. Thats just stupid. Back on track....about the third time, she grabbed it. That was all she wrote. Tennis balls..nah! Canvas retriever dummy...nah! When she seems like she could care less about whats going on, needs a nap, whatever it may be...just show her the pheasant wing and its lights on for Remi. She already seems to live for it. After she "took", I tied it to a fishing rod to up the anti a bit. Now, when she sees the rod, she already knows something is up...so awesome! Nothing changes her demeanor/attitude like the wing. When I give her a little time to enjoy what she did without letting her chew it up, you can see shes really proud...So cool!

From this time moving forward, we will continue to work on the commands she already knows while starting to introduce "down", "heel" and "place", one at a time. Of course there is more to come as we move forward but we dont want to rush things.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in, in the past and for all of your help. Thanks for reading, enjoy the pics and short video!

I can not get the video to upload. Ill work on that...

Edit: I resized the video but just realized, it appears that no .mov file can be uploaded on this site? If there is a way, please let me know. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Get a couple pigeons and pull the flight feathers on 1 wing....... That when the lunatic comes out in most pups.
Keep having fun. That's way at matters

Yea, I think she is ready for some clipped pigeons Gatzby, although Dokkens seems to want to intro live birds after 20+ weeks roughly? Remi is only 9/10 weeks. Ive gotta say, this trainer is having fun too too!

Update: First night working with "down" and she is picking it right up! "Heel" is next after a few more nights of "down". When she shows me that I dont need to push on her shoulders anymore(which is how the night ended) and she clearly remembers the command without hesitation, I will go to the next command

Back