Rem 1100 mag- light loads

fadetoblack188

I have an older Remington 1100. 1978. It has a magnum barrel and receiver. I have heard these do not cycle 2 3/4 rounds. I would like to use this gun for pheasant hunting as it was passed down. Also some skeet

I have heard you can order a 2 3/4 barrel that will
Fit on the magnum receiver and it will cycle properly. Has anyone heard of this before?

Yes it works I do it all the time. I shoot both trap & skeet with mine. I put a 30 inch 2 3/4 inch Trap barrel & it works perfect as does Skeet Barrel, and slug barrel, also with 26 inch barrel choke IMP. All these barrels have two gas ports but of different diameters.
With the 30 inch 3inch Magnum barrel I have hunted pheasants with standard 2 3/4 inch shell's 3 3/4dr 1 1/4 oz some guns will cycle these & some don't mine does.

Last edited:
The barrel has nothing to do with the receiver cycling rounds. The action is what you need to worry about. If you keep the inner workings of the action and the receiver clean it should be fine. My daughter shoots an 1187 with a 3 1/2 inch capability receiver. She shoots 2 3/4inch light loads 50 per night and only has problems when I don't keep the gun clean.

Goldenboy , yes it does. Remington says it right on there site. Rem 1100 with magnum receiver and barrel will not cycle light loads due to gas ports in barrel.

13yji49.jpg

1100 Magnum

I have a Remington 1100 Magnum. I should function with ammo that has at least 1 1/4 oz of shot and a moderate powder charge. That is with your 3 inch barrel. The gun will accept a 2 3/4 inch chambered barrel. With that in place, it should work with all 2 3/4 inch ammo, light or heavy loads.

Enjoy, they are great guns!

Lock and Load! :D

Last edited:
Back