Relocation to south dakota

Don't take this wrong, because I'm 75, but at age 62 and getting into your "senior years" proximity to good healthcare should probably enter into the equation also. Being within a couple hours of Sioux Falls isn't a bad idea. Just my 2 cents!

Zeb that health care issue points to Yankton being closest to Sioux Falls and Omaha.

The weather extremes are real.

I'm surprised to read people commenting on the weather differences of the NE to the southern boarder.
Average January high temp in Yankton = 29. Pierre = 30. Chamberlain = 31.
Average January high temp in Watertown = 21.
That's the average. So frequently the difference is even more drastic.

First, everyone knows that North Dakota is the coldest. It is interesting the average temp difference between northeastern SD and southern SD and central SD. That 9 degree average difference is a lot in January, especially when you factor wind in. This year, with snow up here and nothing down south, the degree difference has been a touch greater.

My daughter was pumped that the groundhog said there are going to be six more weeks of winter. I used to be just like that. As I get a bit older, the cold starts to hurt a little bit more each passing year.

There are pros and cons to all. One thing not mentioned yet is Chamberlain is on the interstate, in case getting too/from places quicker/easier is a priority. Personally I'd list them Chamberlain, Pierre, Yankton but there's no right or wrong.

Lived in Pierre for 15 years. I was shocked at the cost of living when I moved here and it has only gotten worse. Housing and land to build prices are insane. Builder prices per square are nuts. Most expensive area in the state to live no question. That said no other town holds a candle to the hunting and fishing opps Pierre area has. I will never leave.

Last edited:
I know you listed river towns, but Id think Mitchell would be a solid option also. Easy access to bird country, 1 hour to Sioux Falls and all its amenities. . One hour to Chamberlain hunting and fishing , one hour to Yankton.

Just checked zillow for houses for sale in the following to towns

Chamberlin - 3
Pierre - 11

Inventories extremely low, old houses overpriced and new home prices at $315. sq ft.

I do appreciate dakota zebs thought about Healthcare being in pierre or yankton. I have Health Alliance insurance, wondering if that would be accepted in sd?

Just checked zillow for houses for sale in the following to towns

Chamberlin - 3
Pierre - 11

Inventories extremely low, old houses overpriced and new home prices at $315. sq ft.

I do appreciate dakota zebs thought about Healthcare being in pierre or yankton. I have Health Alliance insurance, wondering if that would be accepted in sd?

No idea what size or dollar amount you are looking at but saw what seemed like a decent one in fort Pierre that was $135 sq ft. Keep watching and the right one will come along.

I amazed at the current price of houses and land. Definitely want to be close to water to fish as well as chase grouse and pheasant. I also have to contend with the needs of the princess of 35 years together. Have her convinced about south dakota, but can't sell her on a location without a nail salon/beauty shop close.🤪
I'm late to this thread, but enjoy the discussion, I've had dreams of relocating to SD for the same reasons you express.

If you use Realtor.com, they have a section on "Environmental risks" as you scroll down the page on each listing. I've found several older homes in Pierre down in the valley of the Missouri basin are listed at the "high threat for flood" level. I'm not interested in an home too old, don't want to mess with old plumbing, old sewer lines, old electrical, etc. . Of course, if you are building, I'm sure you'd look for a little high ground. City of Pierre has a map on which they've indicated risk of flood damage in all the areas in town.

I'm a little like your wife in a few requirements. I need a good hardware store or Home Depot type store. An auto parts store, and a decent grocery store. That's it. Some of those itty bitty towns don't have them. Brookings would suit me well except the distance to drive. There are tons of Waterfowl Production areas near there, but a bit of a drive to the grasslands.

All fun to think about, for sure. $315/sf doesn't bother me too much, the house I'm in now is paid for and selling an average of $338/sf - since I'd be stepping down in size, those prices in Pierre look OK. Not great, but OK. Good luck in your quest.

Last edited:
Back