Relieved!

:thumbsup: Finally got into some roosters yesterday! I'm still reeling from the experience. Between 6 of us (2 of which should have been throwing rocks) we harvested 24 roosters. We let a lot of birds get away. The group must have shot 9 or 10 boxes of shells. We literally saw hundreds of birds. Saw about 20 roosters pointed and held by a dog yesterday. Pointed birds were about the only thing this group could knock down. Nearly every bird that was pointed was pointed in milo stubble. I couldn't believe how tight they were holding in the milo stubble. Milo was the place to be during the warm afternoon.

There are some decent numbers in places. Driving 5mi. can reveal a huge difference in production. Some places held 50 birds...some held 1 or 2. The KS birds are safe this week. Leaving for ND Wednesday night!

Thanks for the upbeat report. Glad pheasants didn't go extinct in Kansas since January 2008.

So, you finally made it to the Northwest Region, huh? ;)

Was this all new ground for you, or did you revisit some spots where cut crops made all the difference?

The crops being cut did make all the difference. The report is from one of the spots that I had very poor luck at earlier this season. I wouldn't consider the area I was in to be NW KS.....more like WC.

Last edited:
That is some bad shooting! They must have really liked hearing the gun go off!:D Hopefully they were new to the sport, and you can get 'em trained to hit some birds next time.
My first season hunting, I probably shot about 1 bird for 10 shells. The first nine shots were pretty depressing, but the tenth one was a major cause for celebration! You get good exercise when you shoot like that cause you can hunt all day and not get your limit...;)

I can also remember when I used to carry two boxes of shells in my vest because there was a real chance I might shoot more than one box in a field and I was afraid of running out. :eek:
At today's ammo prices, I'm happy to say those days are behind me.:cool:

Nice work. Its nice to know the bird population is alive and well. I was out in Eastern Colorado yesterday and saw good numbers of birds. We only brought three home, but should have easily doubled that number. Oh, and the wind was brutal!

Thanks for the report on the birds. I was starting to get a little disappointed with the reports from Western and Southwest part of the state. We are heading there this Sunday from Utah.

Thanks for the update,

Jesse :)

:thumbsup: Finally got into some roosters yesterday! I'm still reeling from the experience. Between 6 of us (2 of which should have been throwing rocks) we harvested 24 roosters. We let a lot of birds get away. The group must have shot 9 or 10 boxes of shells. We literally saw hundreds of birds. Saw about 20 roosters pointed and held by a dog yesterday. Pointed birds were about the only thing this group could knock down. Nearly every bird that was pointed was pointed in milo stubble. I couldn't believe how tight they were holding in the milo stubble. Milo was the place to be during the warm afternoon.

There are some decent numbers in places. Driving 5mi. can reveal a huge difference in production. Some places held 50 birds...some held 1 or 2. The KS birds are safe this week. Leaving for ND Wednesday night!
Now fellas don't let KB fool you, I have had the honor to hunt with him and he was probably one of the few throwing rocks....:D Nah, just kidding KB I hope that I can make it back out with you on a hunt here in the future. Until then good luck in the field...:cheers:

Hey,

Kiotehntr, FYI, I wasn't throwing rocks this day:p Puttin' the hammer on some tasty roosters.......

Wonderful memories....1 bird lost in the CRP, 1 hard hit bird ran away in the milo.....then, there's the catch and release bird. When we came back to "camp" for lunch, everyone got their birds out while I watered the dogs. I then pulled my bird vest out; 1 dead bird, thud; 2nd dead bird, thud; 3rd dead bird wiggles a bit and as I turned him over for a look-see and he flew from my hands as if nothing had ever happened to him. My friends, armed only with their ham sandwiches could only watch as the rooster made his way to freedom. It's our new shoot-n-release program;)

I was trying to post pics from our hunt, but it isn't working. Haven't been able to post pics on this site for a long while....????

Last edited:
photographic evidence

Just wanted to share this pic with you all....turns out it was my computer that wouldn't allow me to post pics with the message I left yesterday.

If there is anyone that knows which setting I need to change on my computer, let me know please.....and thank you.

Looks like you and the boys had some fun KB. :10sign: :coolpics:

Dead Bird?

Dang, how long did you carry the bird in the back of your coat?

Many years ago, I took my oldest daughter for her first duck hunt. I shot a drake woodie that folded and hit the water with a thud. Went out and walked back (before dog) with the bird, flipping over and back. Sat with my daughter and talked about the colors etc. We set it down, and sat for a quiet moment when the bird picked up its head, looked at both of us, then flew off. She looked at me, smiled huge, then started laughing hard. One of my best memories hunting.

Somewhere during the picture posting it will ask what size. You just can't pick too big of a file size. That was my issue.

He was in the bag for about a half an hour. We actually stopped and talked to the farmer after hitting the milo field, then drove a couple miles back to the scene of the escape. Thanks for sharing your story! I'm planning a duck hunt a couple weekends out and I'd sure like to see a wood duck. I'll have him stuffed if he's in good enough condition.

It's not a matter of size:rolleyes: .....the pic problem that is! When I click the paperclip, my computer doesn't respond at all. Works just fine from my work computer. Probably a security setting.......just wish I knew which one!

haha thats pretty funny KB..it reminds me of something that i had experienced last weekend..we were pulling up on one of our CRP strips next to a corn field and a rooster was peeking his head up from the edge of the field..i quickly grabbed my gun and ran over there and it walked out of the crp bush 5 feet and i was thinking it would fly but it walked back in slowly..and this is no pin raised bird..so i was basically stepping on it and then kicked it a few times and nothin happened..the whole time this was going on i figured it was crip that i lost that morning so i bent down to pick it up and when i touched it it flew away a hundred miles per hour with the wind and all i had time for was a few 50 yard shots..i looked back at my dad in the truck and he was laughing..i was in shock haha i had never experienced anything like that with a wild bird before lol

Sounds like me and my dad a few years ago we hunted a field and got a couple birds so we threw them in the back of the pick up and stoped at another field and i saw a bird on the edge of the field so i ran up there and shot that bird then another one comes from behind me and shot it and it was one of the birds that we had shot before and it flew out the back of the pick up. Good memories

Back