Recovery

George

Was looking to see if anyone has used either Alpha dog resurgence or Kinetic hydro40k? Mainly looking at those for my lab. He’s in good shape and I give him plenty of water while hunting. He also gets fed purina pro plan 30/20. Just was looking at something to give him during hunting trips out to South Dakota where he’s hunting for 3 days.

Well he gets all of those as I stated above. But like humans there are supplements that can be given to assist in recovering from strenuous workouts. I noticed last year on a 3 day trip the issue arising. That’s why I was asking.

Well if he gets all those, he really doesn't need anything else. Humans don't need a supplement for a strenuous workout either. Those are gimmicks to fool people into thinking they help and that they need them. Besides there is a major difference between a workout and game day. A 3 day hunt is game day. You prepare for that nutritionally year round. If you really want to do your dog a favor, stop feeding Pro Plan, and start feeding Dr. Tims. That said, I do add to their nutrition daily. My dogs each get three squirts of fish oil every day on their food https://www.chewy.com/pethonesty-omega-3-fish-oil-immune/dp/251044. You can click on the link to view the supplement. To give a dog supplement just when you go hunting really does nothing for him. It doesn't get into his system for a sustained time. If you give a supplement such as fish oil, zinc, or glucosamine it takes at least 60 days for that to build up in their system to reap any benefits. You are wasting your time and money to give him something only when you go hunting. If your dog is gasing on a 3 day hunt, I would suggest more work in the off season and supplementing year round with fish oil to build his immune system.

Those supplements may be gimmicks but I sure do feel better/less sore when I take them. I can't see it not helping my dog too. I was looking at wilderness athlete stuff to try for my dog this season (we use the human version at work and I can really feel the difference). If it does nothing else but encourage him to drink more (I guess it has a flavor dogs enjoy) then it's a win for me.

Just curious. What's wrong with pro plan?

That makes sense, he’s been on cosequin for over a year now. Guess I’ll just have to ramp up his conditioning from what I’ve been doing. Appreciate the advice.

Not that I have any special knowledge, but I carry a 1.5-liter bottle of water and a small plastic bowl in my game bag. If a long trek on a warm day lies ahead, I take two 1.5-liter bottles. I wonder if hot, thirsty dogs are getting enough water when given it directly from a bottle (lots of spillage).

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Pro Plan. But there are better choices. You feeling better is probably a placebo effect. Try drinking at least 100 ounces of water on those workout days and save your money on supplements. If you want to help the dog, supplement year round with a quality fish oil. https://drtims.com/

Not that I have any special knowledge, but I carry a 1.5 liter bottle of water and a small plastic bowl in my game bag. If a long trek on a warm day lies ahead, I take two 1.5 liter bottles. I wonder if hot, thirsty dogs are getting enough water when given it directly from a bottle (lots of spillage).
No they don't drink enough. It is our job to help them with that. It is the most important supplement that can be given to man or beast.

Nothing wrong with Pro Plan. But there are better choices. You feeling better is probably a placebo effect. Try drinking at least 100 ounces of water on those workout days and save your money on supplements. If you want to help the dog, supplement year round with a quality fish oil. https://drtims.com/
I switched to the wilderness athlete product instead of Gatorade and similar on long hot days outside. I log every oz of water that goes in and try to hit a minimum of half my body weight in oz. The other day I had 260+ oz(WAY over the goal lol) but sweat every bit of it out lol! That and some protein powder are all I use. As for the dogs I honestly don't know what they need. I think of it like humans, surely they need that extra little bit you just can't get from water, maybe not. But I'm sticking with if it helps encourage them to drink more then it's gotta be good. Some days it can be hard to get them to slow down and drink something.

If you are feeding ProPlan 30/20 your dog will be fine. It's a great food. I know there is a lot of debate when it comes to dog foods but the vast majority of field trialers, as well as breeders, I know feed ProPlan 30/20. That speaks volumes for me. Another field trialer trick to get your dog to drink more water is to add a little milk to the water.

If you are feeding ProPlan 30/20 your dog will be fine. It's a great food. I know there is a lot of debate when it comes to dog foods but the vast majority of field trialers, as well as breeders, I know feed ProPlan 30/20. That speaks volumes for me. Another field trialer trick to get your dog to drink more water is to add a little milk to the water.
They feed it because they get a huge refund at the end of the year. I had a trainer tell me last week that the refund he gets pays for all of his Christmas presents he buys. Pro Plan does support the field trial games which is why they use it. I do know of several that have switched recently due to price and feel that Victor is cheaper over the long run. That said, it is not comparable to Dr. Tims. Compared to Dr. Tims, Pro Plan is "Busch League".

Another trick I've heard to get your dogs to drink more is mix in a few drops of Gatorade to their water. And I'm talking drops. All that sodium and sugar isn't good for your dog. All you're doing is making them think this tastes a little better than the average stuff you're giving them out in the field so they take an extra minute to get a good drink in.

They feed it because they get a huge refund at the end of the year. I had a trainer tell me last week that the refund he gets pays for all of his Christmas presents he buys. Pro Plan does support the field trial games which is why they use it. I do know of several that have switched recently due to price and feel that Victor is cheaper over the long run. That said, it is not comparable to Dr. Tims. Compared to Dr. Tims, Pro Plan is "Busch League".
Would you mind explaining why Dr tims is so much better? Not being argumentative, I'm actually considering trying it, I've seen a lot a people like it. Just kinda curious what makes it better than my pro plan. My dogs are "senior" so I try to get that line of whatever I use.

I started using both the k9 athlete new dog and hydration recovery last year. I mix it in with a combo wet food, dry food, and water at the end of a hunting day. I can't say for sure that it makes a big difference, but I think it just helps give any extra supplements that the food doesn't and extra salts for replenishing with water.

Would you mind explaining why Dr tims is so much better? Not being argumentative, I'm actually considering trying it, I've seen a lot a people like it. Just kinda curious what makes it better than my pro plan. My dogs are "senior" so I try to get that line of whatever I use.
Good question. Never heard of Dr. Tims. I've been feeding Purina dog foods since about 1982 and never had a problem.
So why is ProPlan Busch?

I have fed both. Used Pro Plan for 25 years or so then switched over to Dr. Tims. It is a much denser food and went from feeding 4 cups to 3 cups on an 88 lb labrador and only 2 cups on my 58 lb female. Nice hard stools and great coats. I like the Kinesis.

on the topic of hunting a dog multiple days and from speaking to a few of these supplement people, i believe pre hydration is very important, adding water to a quality kibble if you don't already. feeding heavy 48-24 hours before day one hunt, because a dog can't process energy snacks or food quickly like we do, any food the morning of the hunt or right before won't process. light hydration between hunts, some dogs want and need light hydration during a hunt. a dose of maltodextrin immediately after last hunt of the day seems to make the dog fresh and full of energy for the next morning. a normal meal in the evening within 30 minutes the dog calming down from the last hunt of the day. hydration without overdoing it during the hunt is key. a supplement to help the dog use water more effectively, not sure.

West how long have you been feeding it.? Is supply more reliable than pro plan.? I was reading some on it. It sounds like good food. I’m feeding 4 1/4 cups of 26/16 pp to 110 lbs of dogs right now. So I can’t see me getting the gains you got but I’d be willing to give it a try if the supply is more reliable.

Back