Recent conversation with my contact

goldenboy

With all the doom and gloom about the drought and low bird numbers I thought I would call my contact in southwestern ND and see what he thought of the birds on his property. he told me today that it isn't as bad as everyone is saying. He has water on his places and he is seeing a good number of birds! In some of the places he is seeing as many as in the past. He says it won't be a blockbuster year but he feels that because he has habitat and water that his birds are fine. I was still planning to go just wondering what my expectations should be. It seems a little positive! He told me he would call me in a couple of weeks when season starts to give me the latest updates. Hey guys, it beats going to the office for a few days!!!

2017 Trip Out

I just bought bird licenses yesterday for myself and my 15 year old son. We are heading out to the far NW part of the state two weeks from Saturday.
Last year was our first there, hunting with my father-in-law whose been there off and on for 10 years. I'm sure things will be much tougher than last year,
but still can't wait to spend the week walking the cover.
Good to hear that your area is looking to be better than predicted, hoping we find the same where we are, but regardless will enjoy the time with family and dogs!! :)

We decided to cancel our trip to Hettinger and do a week in our home state only because we would be hunting public and the reports I was getting is they are mowed down to the ground by cattle. Stink to drive 9 hours and not be able to find spots to walk. My buddy was grouse hunting west of Bismarck a couple weeks ago and reported back to me. I'm pretty bummed and I was so looking forward to going out there for the first time.

Private land with cover will always be OK, especially if the amount of hunting is controlled.

Public land will be tough because so much of the CRP PLOT land was hayed. My observation was >50% of CRP was cut. Many Federal WPAs has been hayed or grazed.

It is a little strange out there because all the August and September rain made everything really green. The road ditches (all mowed / hayed) are bright green and looks like late May.

Far NW ND (Divide County) was one of the hardest areas hit by the drought and one of the few areas in ND that have not recovered much in August and September. That part of the state and extending into Montana remain in a severe to extreme drought. Be very careful where you park your truck and you may want to avoid two-track trails to minimize starting a grass fire.

Northwest
Statistics from the Northwest indicated pheasants are down 72 percent from last year, with broods are down 76 percent. Observers recorded three broods and 24 birds per 100 miles. Average brood size was 5.2.

Go out there and have fun.

Far NW ND (Divide County) was one of the hardest areas hit by the drought and one of the few areas in ND that have not recovered much in August and September. That part of the state and extending into Montana remain in a severe to extreme drought. Be very careful where you park your truck and you may want to avoid two-track trails to minimize starting a grass fire.

Northwest
Statistics from the Northwest indicated pheasants are down 72 percent from last year, with broods are down 76 percent. Observers recorded three broods and 24 birds per 100 miles. Average brood size was 5.2.

good advice!

Northwest

I talked at length with the in-laws about those conditions, as they will probably be the worst they have seen in their 6 or so years of hunting out there.
But they are retired and winter in Florida, and since the FIL is not heading west for a big game hunt this fall they really want to get out there for bird season.
For me, my son plays football, and next year he will most likely be on the varsity and taking a week off in October most likely won't be an option. So this may be
the last "easy" trip we can make out there.
Last year we only hunted down one 2 track/section line (and found once we got to where we were going that we could have walked about 150 yards off a dead end gravel road there instead) and the rest of our driving was on gravel roads. We will use all precautions while out there, certainly dont need to add to the hardship by setting off a grass fire.

Expectations are certainly tempered this year, but no matter, a great time will be had by all!!

They do have a heavy rain forecast there for this weekend so may bring the danger down considerably. JO BO

Back