RE: Moving to Texas

BirdRanger

RE: Moving to Texas

Trying to find out around Austin area, a few things.

1 How is the quail hunting down there.
2 Any dog trainers that you would send your dog too.
3 Any NAVHDA guys in that area
4 Local Gun clubs that don't cost $5,000 to join.

Thanks

Kevin

A few quail around, not enough to hunt. Will need to travel south of northwest abit. I am sure there ar NAVHDA guys around. And cash is king when it comes down to hunting, no Walk-In programs. The quail leases are pretty much left to the CEO's.

I point the truck north and set the cruise control for 10 hours, now that is some good hunting.

Good Luck.

quailguy, finally got to Killeen in July had to take a short trip to the sandbox for a few, I thought thoses days were over. But I am finally down here and like the area alot.

hey Kevin i live north of austin in libertyhill not much quail to hunt other than planted birds i am trying to find some public land in north texas for quail and pheasnt it opens on the 5 as far as dog trainer i can tell u to contact richard callhan dont have his number but you can find him at callhan feed in cedarpark he is bird hunter he has a friend that trains quality dogs no gun clubs that i think are worth the money they want if you would like to give me a shout back thanks dana fay

At one time, a fellow started a hunt club out in Mason I believe. I thought it was reasonable at the time. Don't know if he is still operating or rates.

There is a small amount of quail around Ft hood . I have never hunted them but have run into some quail hunters there.

There is a small amount of quail around Ft hood . I have never hunted them but have run into some quail hunters there.

I use to hunt Ft Hood 20 years ago but now there is to much razor wire and it has become very dangerous to run dogs. It was also prior to 9/11 so it was much easier to get on the post.

Not much good Quail hunting around central Texas. You might look into getting a tag from the State to hunt Chaparral WMA in south Texas. It's about 20K acres and has some good years. Get a pair of snake boots no matter when you hunt there. The snakes are large and if you hunt with a dog make sure the are snake proofed.

If you like Duck hunting we use to hunt Ducks on Lake Belton.

For Quail, south Texas is the place to be but expect to pay big bucks.

I use to hunt Ft Hood 20 years ago but now there is to much razor wire and it has become very dangerous to run dogs. It was also prior to 9/11 so it was much easier to get on the post.

Not much good Quail hunting around central Texas. You might look into getting a tag from the State to hunt Chaparral WMA in south Texas. It's about 20K acres and has some good years. Get a pair of snake boots no matter when you hunt there. The snakes are large and if you hunt with a dog make sure the are snake proofed.

If you like Duck hunting we use to hunt Ducks on Lake Belton.

For Quail, south Texas is the place to be but expect to pay big bucks.
I was on Hood all day yesterday crow hunting. Been playing there for years . No problems getting on post any more .

RE: Hood

Let me know when you make the run here, would love to meet some good hunter around here.

I have meet very few deer hunting, have to pull on stands before you get in them it is horrible, I have had 2 stands and 2 cameras stolen and had someone mess with one of my lock ons and fell 10 feet good thing I am hard headed. Talked with GW about it and unless I got pics nothing he can do about it. I know who did it but they are Old Timers and no one does anything about them. Good thing I am not dead, I got my fair share of payback though, aint been one deer killed in their areas.

Give me a call 254-681-4996.

Sallysue, I is all part of public hunting, I guess you meet the good and great and leave the bad, now don't get me wrong I have meet more good than bad, most are either religious bowhunters or bird hunter I'll take both. Will drop a line when I get a chance would be good to meet some more great folks around here.

Birdhunter I got several private places leased for duck and dove in this area. I am retired and go several times a week. Wife said I may have a problem account of 3 doves leases,a farm I plant sunfowers on,2 duck leases. But what she hadn't seen is the 100 flats of shotgun shells I got stored.

I lived in Lampasas when I was stationed at Ft Hood in the earlly 90's and there was a fair amount of quail in the area. I was a little E-1/PVT back then and some of the ranchers took pity on me and let me hunt their places.

I'm sorry you got stationed down there cause without a big wallet, Texas is the worst place to live for someone who likes to hunt. I hated it there and couldnt wait to leave just because of the lack of hunting (without paying).

Just wish all the Texans moving to Colorado would check that leasing mentaility at the stateline. Just ask for permission, quit ruining it for all of us with your money!
:mad:

Have to agree with the differences in hunting between CO and TX. I grew up in TX and was stationed in CO while in the military. I was pleasantly surprised with the opportunities available in CO.

Back