Raw Food

Marshstalker

So Dutch is basically allergic to everything...
Except protein. Weird I know. So I went to a raw food store and picked up 10lbs of Titan Red. I'm worried because I was feeding Proplan 30/20 and she's doing well except itching and pulling out fur, but that's mostly stopped. But this has 12% crude protein and 9% crude fat. Will I have to supplement?
Also is there enough aminos in this? I do add Native Omega oil to every meal.
Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• PXL_20231222_200518692.jpg
    PXL_20231222_200518692.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20231222_200508733.jpg
    PXL_20231222_200508733.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 6
When I am hunting hard with my dogs I supplement with hamburger (you can play with the protein to fat ratio) and occasionally rice. I supplement with these two ingredients because it also gets very tired bird dogs to eat in the evening when the day is done. Both items I do cook.

Looking at the ingredients ... it is 74% moisture which I guess is needed because it is raw food ?

It you look at 30/20 Pro-Plan I assume it is 3:2 protein to fat ratio. The red label you have is 4:3 ratio of protein to fat. The salmon in there should help you greatly on omega aminos ... he is probably one happy dog eating that !

When I am hunting hard with my dogs I supplement with hamburger (you can play with the protein to fat ratio) and occasionally rice. I supplement with these two ingredients because it also gets very tired bird dogs to eat in the evening when the day is done. Both items I do cook.

Looking at the ingredients ... it is 74% moisture which I guess is needed because it is raw food ?

It you look at 30/20 Pro-Plan I assume it is 3:2 protein to fat ratio. The red label you have is 4:3 ratio of protein to fat. The salmon in there should help you greatly on omega aminos ... he is probably one happy dog eating that !
I hope she's happy eating it!
It just thawed out. So we'll see.
40 lbs is 92$, but I gotta thaw weigh and divide. A bit of a task, but she's allergic to almost all veggies and grains. Super strange, as far as I'm told most are protein allergies. Funny thing is, the raw dog food that's AAFCO or whatever is actually more regulated than our own meat.
I just want to make sure she has enough protein and fat. She's extremely active, stinking Pudelpointer traits lol

I just want to make sure she has enough protein and fat. She's extremely active, stinking Pudelpointer traits lol
A12/9 protein/fat ratio and under 400 kcal per cup doesn't seem enough to me for an active hunting dog. Everything I have read indicates that a hunting dog can burn 1800 to 2000 calories per day hunting and there are specific benefits to 30% protein and a minimum of 20% fat in a hunting dog's food. I might try a different kibble like the Inukshuk Marine 30/25 which has no chicken, corn, wheat or soy fwiw but is extremely high in calories and fat and the protein source is fish. Just my opinion. I had labs that had horrible food allergies and it sucked. Good luck.

marine-25

So Dutch is basically allergic to everything...
Except protein. Weird I know. So I went to a raw food store and picked up 10lbs of Titan Red. I'm worried because I was feeding Proplan 30/20 and she's doing well except itching and pulling out fur, but that's mostly stopped. But this has 12% crude protein and 9% crude fat. Will I have to supplement?
Also is there enough aminos in this? I do add Native Omega oil to every meal.
Thanks for any advice.
You say your dog is allergic to everything except protein. Can you explain that a little more? Has she been tested for allergies. Protein is in all meat products and many other ingredients also. I have an allergic dog and she a allergic to a number of protein sources, especially protein from various fish.

Thankfully all my Brittanys have thrived on Purina One which is available in about every grocery store and every Walmart. My current one likes the turkey and venison variety. Never any issues with digestion or performance over 24 years.

I always have to question if a dog gets the proper nutrients when being fed a raw diet. If you want to try a commercial dog food take a look at Zignature Dog Food. They have a several varieties that have limited ingredients so your dog is less likely to have an allergic reaction to it.

You say your dog is allergic to everything except protein. Can you explain that a little more? Has she been tested for allergies. Protein is in all meat products and many other ingredients also. I have an allergic dog and she a allergic to a number of protein sources, especially protein from various fish.
Yes, she had an allergy panel done.
Basically she is allergic to fruits, vegetables and grains. The raw I started is AAFCO compliant for a complete diet. I was surprised, because I know most dogs have allergy to a protein source.

Back