Rattlesnake Vaccination

Has anyone here gotten a preventive rattlesnake vaccination for their dogs? Have your dogs ever experienced any reactions or side effects from them?

My dogs get it, never had any kind of reaction to it.

I have given it to two weimaraners and they didn't have any issues. Pointer gets it next vet trip

I was just curious. My lab may have had a reaction too it as he became extremely lethargic and could barely get up or walk. It started a week ago monday when he was walking gingerly. By wednesday he seemed almost paralyzed on his back legs. He had gotten the shot the wednesday before. The vet wasn't sure and drew blood and had multiple tests done. The tests came back negative. He ran a mild fever all weekend but today has shown improvement. Start prednisone tomorrow so hopefully he'll make a full recovery. He finally ate today, which was the first time in a week, other than treats. Vet said he had never seen this type of reaction before, only a local reaction at the injection site. I'm thinking I might skip it next year as I don't feel like taking a chance at losing my partner.

Update

Well, I'm happy to say that Cody is back to 100%. He started to clear up and move better Wednesday and by today I feel he's back to his old self. Finally started eating again and is active. No more rattlesnake vaccinations for him. Going to try and take him to a local kennel next weekend to get snake broke. Cost is the same and I don't have worry about a possible reaction.

Was this the first shot or the booster. Did the vet say its a lab thing or just a random reaction.

Was this the first shot or the booster. Did the vet say its a lab thing or just a random reaction.

This was his second shot, he had one last year as well. The vet had never personally seen that type of reaction before. There was no reaction at the injection site, which the vet said he has seen before. I took him out last weekend and had him snake broke. Hopefully that did the trick. I'll probably take him out next year for a refresher.

I was just curious. My lab may have had a reaction too it as he became extremely lethargic and could barely get up or walk. It started a week ago monday when he was walking gingerly. By wednesday he seemed almost paralyzed on his back legs. He had gotten the shot the wednesday before. The vet wasn't sure and drew blood and had multiple tests done. The tests came back negative. He ran a mild fever all weekend but today has shown improvement. Start prednisone tomorrow so hopefully he'll make a full recovery. He finally ate today, which was the first time in a week, other than treats. Vet said he had never seen this type of reaction before, only a local reaction at the injection site. I'm thinking I might skip it next year as I don't feel like taking a chance at losing my partner.

I'm glad your dog is better. Uncle buck started a thread about symptons like these. It was titled coon fever. Also known as coonhound paralysis. I only remember it because my dog had a similar incident when she was young.Im not saying it wasnt a reaction to the shot. Just thought you might
want to be aware of coon fever in case it ever happens again.

Back