Rattle snakes

barnstorm

I am new to Kansas bird hunting and my GSP's have never encountered a rattler. They hate critters of all sorts and attack almost anyting but other dogs or people. I am heading to Graham county over thanksgiving. Should I be concerned with snakes at all, and what should I do if a dog gets bitten? Also are there any other critters I should be aware of ? Thanks for any help! Barney from Minnesota

I am heading to Graham county over thanksgiving. Should I be concerned with snakes at all, and what should I do if a dog gets bitten? Also are there any other critters I should be aware of ?

Take the dog to the vet immediately! I recommend finding a vet that offers 24hr emergency service nearby. I don't think you have to worry about finding someone that stocks anti-venom, my vet told me they just shoot em' up w/ peniccillen (sp?) or something common to a basic supply.

SKUNKS! Be prepared for skunks.

NNOOOOOO not skunks I will bring baking soda dawn dish soap and peroxide. The ultimate skunk formula! So are there snankes in the area?(Graham co.)?

Search out a de-snaking clinic if you can before next spring.

There are rattlesnakes there. Let's hope for weather that will keep them tucked away for your trip! Send a pm to Britchaser. He can give you a lot better info pertaining to the risks of running dogs in Graham county (at least a county bordering Graham).

Good luck on your trip!!

I wouldn't worry about it. There are a few rattlers in Kansas, but not enough to be too concerned. The nights have been pretty cold lately and I wouldn't foresee running into any snakes around Thanksgiving.

Even without the risk of a rattlesnake, I would always be aware of the nearest vet. Even though they may not have a "24 Hour" emergency line, most of the vets in rural parts of the state are 24 hour vets because of the animals they treat.

Do a google search and call the vet ahead of time.

Thanksgiving r-snakes

Forecast is for 50s to 20s (I am going to be there so I am interested as well). There is an almost zero % chance of r-snakes if the temp is close to that. I have never seen one while hunting in that area (Eastern Graham-Western Rooks) in 40 years (yes, I'm old, but I also started early.).

No porcupines. Skunks are a possibility. Badgers are nasty critters but I have probably seen 5 while hunting in my life.

Last edited:
Thanks NW I will be in a blue durango and we will have a red chev pu w/ dog trailer from minnesota mabey we'll see you !

Got to give a second to the badger issue. One of my dogs most beautiful points was on a badger. That was an incredibly scary couple of minutes. I've never run into any porkies, but have that fear.

I carry a sawed-off aluminum baseball bat about 14" long for coon fights. I hope I dont have to use it on a badger. Usually a point on unfavorable game looks different than a point on bird, so most of the time I grab them by the collar before anything happens.

There is a lot of wildlife that can be encountered here in SW Kansas besides rattlesnakes, including coyotes, bobcats, badgers, skunks, porkies, possums, coons, armadillos, whitetails, mulies, elk and road runners. I have seen them all.

Porkies in KS

How bout Porkies???? ran into porcupines in ND lats fall That really sucked!!!

There are porcupines in Kansas. Last season I turned to find my dog on a classic high point. After taking a picture, I picked up the gun and approached hoping for a cock flush. No flush. I moved closer and bent down to get a look. It was a porkie, first one I've seen in Kansas.

Last edited:
Wow â?? I had no idea.

oqlnbc.jpg

Source: http://nl.treknature.com/gallery/photo152369.htm

Porcupines in Kansas

Last edited:
Saturday I was moving in toward Murry's solid point with only camera in hand. Murry started to creep, then lunge, and out came a coyote about three feet in front of him and ten feet from me.

Nature Surprises

Saturday I was moving in toward Murry's solid point with only camera in hand. Murry started to creep, then lunge, and out came a coyote about three feet in front of him and ten feet from me.

That's getting in touch with nature at close range.

Snakes

I ran into a land owner the other day and he gave me permission to hunt his place. He said oh by the way don't go near that prairie dog town after about an hour. It will be about 50 degrees by then and the snakes will be out sunning. This was the week before Thanksgiving. I said I thought they would be in the ground this late. He said that if the temps get 50 and sunny they could be out all winter in the towns. This man was about 80 and I expect he knows what he is talking about.
Food for thought.....

G-Man

I carry a sawed-off aluminum baseball bat about 14" long for coon fights. I hope I dont have to use it on a badger. Usually a point on unfavorable game looks different than a point on bird, so most of the time I grab them by the collar before anything happens.

Why carry a bat when you have a shotgun in hand? Makes no sense for me.

Back