Rats!

koja48

My 10-month-old pup put on a clinic today. Remember, I'm in SE WA state & wild birds are few & far between, but hunting them is a passion. Heard at least 2 Roosters crowing right at day break . . . hunted the area, pup got birdy, but they pulled a Houdini on us. Next, Hank tracked & pointed the smallest hen I've ever seen . . . thought she was a dove at first but pup did a great job. Then we hunted a "hole" next to the road . . . no one hunts it, little traffic other than the occasional farm vehicle, and it has yielded a lot of birds over the years. Hank started tracking, locked, resumed tracking, locked . . . made a circle out front and pushed a Rooster right into me. Now the bad news: bird flushed a bit to my right (15-yards or so away) & when I got on the bird, the morning sun was right above it; all I could see was a black Pheasant-shape, no cackle, so I pulled-off the bird. It was a grand day! Hank hunts a little better & exhibits more confidence each time we go out. He handled wonderfully. He got into a few birds, outfoxed one, and had a ball in general. Top that off with a clear, crisp, winter morning, no other hunters, a few Mule Deer sighted (none of which pup showed any interest in chasing), and lots of coyotes singing a sunrise serenade. Small wonder that I live for this kind of experience.

Good job Hank, give those birds hell!:cheers:

sounds like a magical SE washington morning to me!!:) i just flew into seatac last night and woke up to a chilly edmonds morning.....now wishing i was on the other side walking around the hotspots with you

go get a X-mas rooster in the next day or so!!!

Thanks, folks! CR, it ain't THAT far away & I probably have an extra shotgun or two in maybe a fair selection of gauges . . . just sayin'. Enjoy Christmas . . . Hank & I will & in dense cover on private ground (good thing I dialed-in his tracking collar this afternoon while he slept & dreamed he was still hunting, judging by the sounds I heard.).

Different story today . . . pushed a Rooster out of bulrushes, it cackled like crazy, got levelled & retrieved. Lousy photo/photographer, but Hank was picture-perfect! Pointed a couple hens & some Quail that I whiffed-on, too.
IMGP0147.jpg

good job Koja. Man if I didn't have family obligations I would have been over there as fast as a guy could get there!!! I head back home on wed......but maybe for 2012 I will make an effort to do a few days in wash. I really want to see how my old stomping grounds have changed (sadly)since 97. Have a merrychristmas and a very happy and safe New year

Thanks & you're welcome anytime, rocker; all you'll need is a license . . . I have plenty of shotguns . . . some sad changes (the area has blossomed houses), but there are still a few wild Pheasant honey-holes left to those who are willing to get-out and HUNT (as opposed to walking around with a shotgun a little bit). May the very Merriest Christmas be yours . . . took the morning off; Hank was doing a lot of stretching this morning & at almost 64, my knees could use a break. We'll lay around for a bit (well, Hank will . . . I tend to stay busy), then go take a scout in the little Jeep that I built (his favorite rig . . . and mine!). We'll be out there again in the morning.

jim

Back