Rate your past season

Every spot I hunted this year we shot birds. some spots were LOADED. mind you I hunted the same public spot 3 times and masses of birds were seen each time. Once you find spots you typically can produce from them each time. it was a great season in SD for me, my dogs and the guys I went with. 0 Complaints just full memories.

Worst season ever, Nebraska and Kansas drought decimated these areas beyond worst imaginable. It may be years for these places to recover so next fall I will be in North or South Dakota.

Oh yea, I had a late season cow elk tag and due to really horrible luck with weather, I didn't fill the tag. As a matter of fact, I never saw an elk, so that I would rate as horrible.

I did go on an awesome buck pronghorn archery hunt. I saw lots of pronghorn, several good bucks every day and harvested a nice buck. Not huge but it is my first with a bow and I really enjoyed the hunt.

Attachments

• 2022 antelope 1.jpg
    2022 antelope 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
I shoot well sporadically at quail for sure. Russian Olive thickets and cattails do not help my shooting at all. I shoot well in grass and brush. So all that combined I might shoot 30%. Saying it here is very embarrassing.

As a fellow triggerphile, I'll tell you to not be embarrassed. I catch some flak on my YouTube channel for my shooting and, yet, those guys never seem to have any footage of their own to back up their shotgunning prowess. Truth be told, a lot of folks would trade places with you in a heartbeat to have that many opportunities in the field. Keep blasting! We buy shells to shoot them.

Ace & I had a terrific season, which I’d rate as a 9.8. It’ll be interesting to see if I ever have a 10. I think this year, if it hadn’t been quite so dry early on, & if the last few weeks hadn’t been quite so snowy, it might’ve approached 9.93. And if I’d had more time to hunt & wouldn’t have been trying to limp along on a malfunctioning GoPro for several weeks, probably about 9.994. It was a really, really good season.

I didn’t hunt quite as many times as I’d hoped (35), but close (31). I’m thinking that as long as I’m forced by life/wife to retain a full-time job, 40 hunts in a season will be impossible. We hunted private land with our friends Sage & Lucas 1 time, but otherwise all our hunting was on public land, with a few ditches sprinkled in here & there. Considerably less ditch hunting than usual though, because the last few weeks, they had 4’ of snow in them & no pheasants. Late, late season, when it’s super cold, is typically our prime cattail ditch hunting time.

Bird numbers in the areas I hunt were up this year across the board. I’m going to guess up about 30%; possibly more. No doubt that was one reason our birds/hunt average was relatively high, & our hours/hunt average was relatively low. There were really only a handful of hunts I felt like we worked very hard to find some success.

I shot as well as ever, maybe slightly better than par. I usually shoot sporting clays twice in September, & I did this year too. But I also shot trap about 10 times last summer (I’d never shot trap before), & I was pretty curious to see if I thought it’d help. I think the answer is maybe. I believe I was a bit further out in front of my birds this season, as I think I got a few more head shots than usual. I’ll blame trap. As some of you know, I also switched (public land) shells part way into the season, from Kent bismuth 5s to BOSS bismuth 4s. I really like them. Longer range shots that I made were deader as a result, which was exactly what I was after. I’ll save my remaining Kent 5s for early seasons & burn them up that way. But otherwise, I believe I’m a convert to BOSS, simply because they do #4 shot in 16 gauge. I did notice less pellet fragmentation, I presume as a result of BOSS’s copper plating. I shot my old A5 all season. I just love it too much not to shoot it. Didn’t break out the new A5 or my Model 12s at all, which surprises me a little. I did gain another 16 gauge Model 12 this season. My dad’s. He’s still with us, but reality set in for me, such that the most recent time he tried to give me the gun, I took it. He won’t hunt pheasants again.

I’ve created 10 so-so videos of my hunts this season & have footage backed up to make about 8 more. I got a new GoPro 11 about Dec. 1 & am real happy with it. I’ve only made 2 videos using its footage, & I had to learn a new software (Shotcut), but I’m pleased with the results. The resolution is great, & it’s amazing what they’ve done in the last few models to improve picture stability. More than anything, it’s nice to have a camera that acts as & when I expect it to. My goals with my videos are to watch them over & over, because I enjoy them, & to show that a person really can shoot a good number of truly wild pheasants on public land in SD, all season long. If others enjoy the videos, that’s great too!

And finally, Ace. He’ll be 4 in April, & this was his 4th season. He’s REALLY getting good now. We challenge each other at times, but for the most part, he does a super nice job working with me. I can tell his “awareness that I exist & am part of his team” improved this season. Throughout the course of the season, I also noticed his retrieves becoming more solid/immediate, with a little less farting around with the bird before deciding to pick it up & bring it to me. This isn’t a BIG deal, but makes me happy nonetheless. He’s also getting better at arriving at the drop zone & using his nose sooner; not so much his eyes. He’s realized that a rooster isn’t always lying there dead, waiting for him, & that if that’s the case, it’s likely to have fled the scene altogether, or at least concealed himself as only a wounded rooster can. I can’t get enough. I love the rides out, as he searches out the windows for pheasants & places there might BE pheasants. I love watching him hunt. I love the partner connection we’re developing. I’m amazed by his ability to find, close in on, & flush pheasants. But watching him mark, recover, & retrieve roosters is what sends me over the top. I’d say this year he did it not only because I wanted him to, but because he loves it too. I hate making bad shots as much as ever, but when Ace cleans up my mess & turns a potentially bleak situation into a bird in hand, his triumph makes me swell with pride.

So yeah. A good, solid 9.8. Now 8 months of considering how we might bump that up a few hundredths next season.

Here’s a double (close to true, but just staggered) we got Jan. 22, way, way back in the very back of this WPA. I got them both good, & they only fell about 10 yds apart, but it still took Ace 13 minutes to find them both in the snow & phragmites. But he got ‘em. The moment required a picture right then & there.
20230122_131515.jpg

And finally, Ace. He’ll be 4 in April, & this was his 4th season. He’s REALLY getting good now. We challenge each other at times, but for the most part, he does a super nice job working with me. I can tell his “awareness that I exist & am part of his team” improved this season. Throughout the course of the season, I also noticed his retrieves becoming more solid/immediate, with a little less farting around with the bird before deciding to pick it up & bring it to me. This isn’t a BIG deal, but makes me happy nonetheless. He’s also getting better at arriving at the drop zone & using his nose sooner; not so much his eyes. He’s realized that a rooster isn’t always lying there dead, waiting for him, & that if that’s the case, it’s likely to have fled the scene altogether, or at least concealed himself as only a wounded rooster can. I can’t get enough. I love the rides out, as he searches out the windows for pheasants & places there might BE pheasants. I love watching him hunt. I love the partner connection we’re developing. I’m amazed by his ability to find, close in on, & flush pheasants. But watching him mark, recover, & retrieve roosters is what sends me over the top. I’d say this year he did it not only because I wanted him to, but because he loves it too. I hate making bad shots as much as ever, but when Ace cleans up my mess & turns a potentially bleak situation into a bird in hand, his triumph makes me swell with pride.

I am vice president of the "Watta Dawg!" Ace fan club.

(Now, if there were only some kind of muffler to put over the microphone on the GO Pro.
Seems to me in a studio years ago, there were sponge-ish type covers to diminish sibilants for the talent. Of course, you were out in strong winds.)

Great year! Thanks for taking us along.

I am vice president of the "Watta Dawg!" Ace fan club.

(Now, if there were only some kind of muffler to put over the microphone on the GO Pro.
Seems to me in a studio years ago, there were sponge-ish type covers to diminish sibilants for the talent. Of course, you were out in strong winds.)

Great year! Thanks for taking us along.
Thanks Kismet! I'll pass your kind words along to the boy.
Yes, you can muffle the mics on GoPros. Golden Hour does that, & consequently has superior videos (among other reasons). I haven't been that motivated yet.

I would rate my season as very good. I didn't shoot as many pheasants as in years past mostly because I didn't go as much but I made up for it with bobwhites. My son and I shot a limit of them for the 1st time in 3 years of hunting them and that is really not a huge deal except we did it in iowa in January. The quail hunting is really something that we are starting to become very fond of and it makes for a great day spent with my son every time we make that trip. I am hoping to do more pheasant hunting next year but as I get older I am always looking for easier ways to do it. A full day in the brush really makes me realize I'm not getting any younger! I also might add a 20 gauge to my gun collection for early pheasants and late quail. Anyway sorry for rambling on but yes a very good year with a ton of memories made.

At 40 yards a quail could sneak through my pattern, I am guessing! My buddy and I were recapping the season recently and he said "I remember you telling me, If you don't shoot, you won't get any".
I have always heard you miss a 💯 % of the shots you don't take.

I guess rating my season would be determined by how I rate it. If I compare it to wild birds in the bag of years past it sucked, as I think most of my remaining years will. I'm just too far from wild bird populations now. If I think about the fresh air and exercise, watching my pup evolve, watching my grandsons blast pen raised birds it wasn't bad. I also still get to walk the fields with my older brother and shoot a few wild quail like we used to. I also got to take two trips this year and meet some cool people like M.I. forester. I think this year marked my 39th trip. 34 of those including this year I got to spend with my lifelong friend hunting birds and drinking beer in the motel in the evening. So yeah, not bad at all.IMG_0757.JPG

I shoot well sporadically at quail for sure. Russian Olive thickets and cattails do not help my shooting at all. I shoot well in grass and brush. So all that combined I might shoot 30%. Saying it here is very embarrassing.
Drew, I suspect your gun does not fit you well. Also have you checked for your dominate eye? What chokes are you using for Quail?

Drew, I suspect your gun does not fit you well. Also have you checked for your dominate eye? What chokes are you using for Quail?
All good questions birdman2. I would like to invite a trusted member of this forum……who is deserving and can keep a secret to an eastern Oregon bird hunt with me this next fall. You won’t believe it until you experience it.

I had my most successful season yet...I am a relatively new bird hunter so I only have the last 5 years to go on, but I saw a few more pheasants in most of the places that I hunt every year. My dog has been doing really good lately and he has my full trust, when he thinks he's on a bird he usually is so I just follow. However, he does need to get better at retrieving...he'd rather just go find more live ones. In all we put 36 roosters in the bag which beat last year by 3 so we have been getting better every year so far. Next year I'd really like to get a little more variety so we may try for chickens, grouse, and quail more than I have in previous years.

I guess rating my season would be determined by how I rate it. If I compare it to wild birds in the bag of years past it sucked, as I think most of my remaining years will. I'm just too far from wild bird populations now. If I think about the fresh air and exercise, watching my pup evolve, watching my grandsons blast pen raised birds it wasn't bad. I also still get to walk the fields with my older brother and shoot a few wild quail like we used to. I also got to take two trips this year and meet some cool people like M.I. forester. I think this year marked my 39th trip. 34 of those including this year I got to spend with my lifelong friend hunting birds and drinking beer in the motel in the evening. So yeah, not bad at all.View attachment 5278
Max, it was great hunting with you last fall, im sorry we didnt get intobthe birds like i hoped!

Back