Rate your past season

I had a pretty darn good season. The dogs and I made a few trips to MN before our IA and NE seasons started. They have some really well cared for public lands in MN. We will get back up there this fall, if my schedule allows. The highlights of my season were getting to hunt with my oldest son as he carried a gun for the first time, getting to hunt more with my recently retired father, hunting a LOT more than I ever have, and watching my youngest dog Cash experience his first hunting season. I shot much better this season than I did the season before (had nowhere to go but up!). I picked up an electric trap thrower after last season, and I put it to good use. I did not keep a journal this year, and I regret that. I got out 34 or 35 times the season before, and I know I hunted more this season than last.

Towards the end of the season, my Dad's oldest brother fell ill, and did not recover. Uncle Buss loved the outdoors, and was always willing to let me tag along. The loss of my Uncle, and the season coming to an end, put me in a funk that I am just now coming out of. I think this is the first time I've visited the board in several weeks. With the snow now gone and the temps more seasonable, Cash and I have been back to training hard. I'll be planting a couple food plots for the first time this spring, and I'm hoping to talk Dad into planting a shelter belt below his house. My oldest boy, Schafer, is finally old enough to join the trap team this year, so we are both looking forward to that. The pheasants in my little part of the world should have had a fairly easy go of it this winter. I have hopes for this coming year!

Schafer and Cash. Stars of the future!
View attachment 5395

Uncle Buss and Grandpa Mark, probably taken late '80's/early '90's.
View attachment 5396

My Dad, Schafer, and Cash. Schafer had just missed a bird, then watched his Grandpa, who was blocking, drop a pair of roosters.
View attachment 5397
That Shafer and Cash are pretty photogenic!!

I just restarted bird hunting in 2021 and this was my first solo hunt with my young dog in SD. We shot our first bird the morning of day one and I’m thinking, “this is going to be easy”. At my age I should know better.

Long story short, after 3 pr 4 days of wandering around and talking with other hunters things started to come together. In the 7 days we hunted we never did limit out but we managed to bring home enough Pheasant for Thanksgiving dinner.

Most important, the dog and I got a lot of experience and learned from my mistakes. Really looking forward to next season.

I had a pretty darn good season. The dogs and I made a few trips to MN before our IA and NE seasons started. They have some really well cared for public lands in MN. We will get back up there this fall, if my schedule allows. The highlights of my season were getting to hunt with my oldest son as he carried a gun for the first time, getting to hunt more with my recently retired father, hunting a LOT more than I ever have, and watching my youngest dog Cash experience his first hunting season. I shot much better this season than I did the season before (had nowhere to go but up!). I picked up an electric trap thrower after last season, and I put it to good use. I did not keep a journal this year, and I regret that. I got out 34 or 35 times the season before, and I know I hunted more this season than last.

Towards the end of the season, my Dad's oldest brother fell ill, and did not recover. Uncle Buss loved the outdoors, and was always willing to let me tag along. The loss of my Uncle, and the season coming to an end, put me in a funk that I am just now coming out of. I think this is the first time I've visited the board in several weeks. With the snow now gone and the temps more seasonable, Cash and I have been back to training hard. I'll be planting a couple food plots for the first time this spring, and I'm hoping to talk Dad into planting a shelter belt below his house. My oldest boy, Schafer, is finally old enough to join the trap team this year, so we are both looking forward to that. The pheasants in my little part of the world should have had a fairly easy go of it this winter. I have hopes for this coming year!

Schafer and Cash. Stars of the future!
View attachment 5395

Uncle Buss and Grandpa Mark, probably taken late '80's/early '90's.
View attachment 5396

My Dad, Schafer, and Cash. Schafer had just missed a bird, then watched his Grandpa, who was blocking, drop a pair of roosters.
View attachment 5397
Fantastic write up, Lefty. Not sure what kind of phone you have, but on iPhone's there is an app called NOTES. After each hunt, I take a couple seconds to adjust the total number of birds harvested that season at the top, then add the day's number, location and any other notes I feel worth mentioning, typically if I shot a grouse or partridge and if we lost a bird. Anyway, something to consider for the future.

I would say this was one of the better years for me. Had some great years when the population was up and had lots of opportunities to go and shoot limits on private ground. This year numbers eemed up and so therefore chances to shoot birds was up as well. That also means I try hard to find the time to get out an hunt. Only things that stopped me from hunting more this year was my two dogs both had litters this fall which took out my months of Sept. and Oct. and one of my dogs tore an ACL and wasn't able to hunt at all this fall. Looking forward to next fall but these next 8-9 months are a killer.
I know the feeling. My dog had acl surgery in August. That limited my hunting. I did get out some in light cover.

Back