Raising Chukars?

Dakota Swede

Can anyone help me with info about raising Chukars for grassland - put and release and dog training ?

How well do they fly or hold ?

What (beside the price per chick) is the difference between Chukars and "French Chukars"?

Thanks

Imo chukar are the hardest game bird to brood but once they're out of the brooder and in your pen they are no more of a problem than pheasants or quail. A lot of folks raise them on wire to avoid disease but its not crucial to do so as long as you have good well drained soil. They run well and hold for points once penned and fly very well if given a nice flight pen. They also recall well to johnny houses.

French partridge are better suited to pheasant type habitat than chukar but since they probably wouldn't survive to breed in the wild anyways everybody uses the less expensive chukar. French partridge are much prettier imo though.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info - couple more questions.

When released - will they covey up?

Do they flush as a group like Hungarians?

Well they're naturally covey birds so I assume if released from a johnny pen they would stay in a loose covey but they move around more than any pen raised bird I've seen. When I was training my first dog I took 4 out and just put my carrying cage in some good cover and opened the door. I waited about 5 mins and dropped my pup. The first bird we found was 50yds from the release site and the farthest one was about 300yds away. Good training for a budding bird dog.

wish I could help with this one. They don't run as much as a pheasant, which is nice for training. They are easier to plant, basicly just swing them upside down by the legs a little and drop em in. They stay down well. As far as raising, I got nothing.

Back