Rain

gspman

have a trip planned to Webster,SD at the end of the month. Its being reported they have had a ton of rain and getting more.
What can i expect ?
Will it concentrate birds on any high ground ? will they just hunker where they have the least hunting pressure?
I know the crops will be like 0% harvested ...any strategies ?

Thanks in advance
SB

This is my second season in the area. Last year in early season I found a lot of birds in cattails before the crops where cut. This year all those place are completely full of water. A ton of rain is truly an understatement. I've been doing some scouting in the evenings and high ground seems to be the place the birds want to be but most of those are standing crops. This probably isn't much help but finding hunting spots this year will be the challenge.

have a trip planned to Webster,SD at the end of the month. Its being reported they have had a ton of rain and getting more.
What can i expect ?
Will it concentrate birds on any high ground ? will they just hunker where they have the least hunting pressure?
I know the crops will be like 0% harvested ...any strategies ?

Thanks in advance
SB

cancel your trip until later when it freezes up.....and switch areas.

If you can go further west might not be bad idea. If you can’t I get it. With crops still in the last 1-2 hours is going to be the best. Hunt some grown over section lines use the morning to scout out dry ground.

I've hunted around Webster. There is good cover, birds and plenty of public access hunting. A lot of ponds surrounded by cattails. I scouted in the morning with a hunting atlas. ID'd smaller areas and found a couple where they were picking corn next to, or close to a public access area. Those produced birds. The first spot we hit at noon we had a rooster in 5 minutes, then nothing for the next couple places we hunted. You just need to put in some time. Do the scouting work, don't get down if you hunt a few areas without seeing anything. Keep at it.

Back