Rain suit

birddude

I don't hunt in the rain anymore, but wet snow or not long after a rain will get you just as wet. My favorite outfit has been the Dan's bibs but my last two haven't lasted long enough for the price. Rubber sucks, so anyone have a favorite under 300?

FroggToggs super lightweight. I wear them under a jacket or coveralls to protect them. I also wear them to keep me warm. T shirt ,froggtogg,and a hooded sweatshirt with a game vest- I am good to 20below windchill while pheasant hunting.

I feel your pain Birddude and will be all-ears (actually eyes) on this topic. I've been looking as well. That being said, I am at this time also a Dan's bib guy. Two years of hard hunting and the knees bleed a little moisture. On the plus side, I wear them during the winter down to any wind chill and wet snow, so they are multi-season. I have chicken legs and a couple of hips that aren't bone anymore and I like the fact that I can wear high socks that warm the calf muscle and a long boxer under armor (spandex) undies and keep my knees free which makes marching through cover so much easier than a full long under-leg garment. You set a $300 price which got me to thinking, that's 3 pairs of Dan's. Maybe we're doing ok with Dan's. I look forward to, as well as, learn from so many on this site, so will see what others use.
Thanks to all who contribute to this site, you are appreciated by me.

I feel your pain Birddude and will be all-ears (actually eyes) on this topic. I've been looking as well. That being said, I am at this time also a Dan's bib guy. Two years of hard hunting and the knees bleed a little moisture. On the plus side, I wear them during the winter down to any wind chill and wet snow, so they are multi-season. I have chicken legs and a couple of hips that aren't bone anymore and I like the fact that I can wear high socks that warm the calf muscle and a long boxer under armor (spandex) undies and keep my knees free which makes marching through cover so much easier than a full long under-leg garment. You set a $300 price which got me to thinking, that's 3 pairs of Dan's. Maybe we're doing ok with Dan's. I look forward to, as well as, learn from so many on this site, so will see what others use.
Thats exactly the way I wear them and about the same number of seasons I get out of them. I'm looking at the river west kokanee, but thinking they that I know I know I can get two or three from Dans and don't know about any others.

A waxed canvas coat will shed a lot of snow, rain will eventually get through. They are warm, if it is 40 or lower, I wear it, regulate the warmth by the number of buttons I use (usually one or 2), if it is cold, 2 long sleeved shirts under it and 3 buttons. Mine is a LL Bean, great game pouch and pockets. If it is raining hard, I won't be out long no matter what I would wear. Any waterproof chaps will keep you dry and warm from the crotch down.

If you are just concerned about hunting in wet snow, or after a rain, I would recommend a good pair of waterproof chaps. I have a pair of DryPlus Chaps from Cabelas that have kept me dry in some very wet conditions. However, I don't think Cabelas still offers them. But I'm sure there are some similar ones out there.

I have Filson double tin ($185) chaps and a set of Stone Creek Hunters Choice ($80) chaps that are lighter weight, both waterproof and warm, the Filson being warmer. Stone Creek also has Tuff & Dry bibs that look to be the same material as the chaps if you like bibs. Stone Creek also has a nice line-up on dog leads and collars, priced right. Throw in some brass collar tags it you order from them to add on all your dog collars.

Yes, there are just that, you can get them on after your boots if needed and take them off easily with your boots on if needed. I don't think I could do that with the Filsons, possibly, but it wouldn't be easy.

I don't hunt in the rain anymore, but wet snow or not long after a rain will get you just as wet. My favorite outfit has been the Dan's bibs but my last two haven't lasted long enough for the price. Rubber sucks, so anyone have a favorite under 300?
Except when you come to michigan!

FroggToggs super lightweight. I wear them under a jacket or coveralls to protect them. I also wear them to keep me warm. T shirt ,froggtogg,and a hooded sweatshirt with a game vest- I am good to 20below windchill while pheasant hunting.
I have found the down fall with wearing under outer garments is i sweat to much, course i have this problem whether as ouiter layer or inner layer. But i like this method

I think another concern is what type of cover are you hunting in? If in the woods I the gear in my opinion would need to be a bit more durable then prairies. I use an old pair of golf rain pants in the pheasant fields. Might want to check military surplus stores i think some might have goretex bdu's.

Dans Hunting Gear is pretty stout products and seems a bit less expensive than Stonecreek. I have the 5 star chaps that I spray w waterproofing often.

Well, I decided you're probably correct about it. At least I know I'll get a couple years out of them. The style and sizes have changed, so I wouldn't buy a pair without trying them on. I buy them at my local Amish coon hunting store. Before they changed, I would tell them what size pants I wore, and they would grab the correct size off the rack, and they fit good. This time I tried on 5 or six pairs. I wear about a 40/32. Wound up with 46/28's and they still don't fit perfect. Btw if anyone is wandering the Dan's stuff is made in Ohio by Amish. 85.00. Noisy but briar proof forever, waterproof for a few years.

Back