Rabbits

onpoint

Is anybody seeing any high populations of rabbits well out hunting?

I have to say, IMO this is the poorest amount of rabbits I have ever seen in a fall. I kid you not, at our place in northern Minnesota. I'm afraid the Snowshoe rabbits(hare) are on the verge of extinction. There is not a track anywhere. We use to have tons of them. During deer hunting you would see the white spots appearing all over in the woods near dusk.

I have heard said, the health of a Eco system can be measured by the rabbit. Rabbits are a main meal of many predators. No rabbits? you most likely won't find much other game either. Seems to hold true where I have hunted this fall. Game animals and game birds are scary low in numbers. Our gray squirrel population is just about as bad as the rabbit population.

What are you seeing in your area?

There's a few very spooky cottontails at the ranch buildings, got lots of places of safety there. We have some good Snowshoe country by the river and creek, lot of low ground with alder, willow, tamarack type stuff. Still some Ruffs hanging around. Good time to check for Snowshoes, they ought to be all white now and with no snow.
I'll take a walk let you know.

I have seen more jack rabbits this year but less cotton tails.:confused: Hardly any tree squirrels either.

I may be wrong, however I thought that Rabbit populations are cylical. Some years the roads are covered with rabbit fur, Then some years the roads are covered with fox fur.

Lots of cottontails down here this year. Jacks seem to be down in numbers this year. Last year saw more Jacks than cottontails.:)

Back