Quial opener

I too will be looking for the report. Heading out to az the first of the year for the winter. Just finishing up a SD hunt today, then back out here in two weeks.:)

Here's the report:

Hunted out of Needles, CA - just north of Lake Havasu City, AZ, Feb 3-7(5 days)

Saw quail everyday around towns, developments, and houses - the bird watchers draw them away from huntable areas with an obsession with feeding them - I don't agree with this practice but it is what it is. Along Alamo Rd towards Wikieup I stopped and talked to a guy riding a mountain bike - he had a house nearby. This area is dotted with homes but really is quite sparsely populated - He says "quail?, they're all around. I have 100+ around my 40 acres, they're loaded in my backyard right now - hate to admit how much we spend on feed for them each year!

Yes, there "probably" are plenty in more remote, huntable areas but the desert is a vast, huge place - it was difficult to overcome the "needle-in-a-haystack" feeling. I did the research on the AZ G & F website before going and took those maps along - tried quite a few of the suggested areas but saw none(while hunting) the first 3 days. Also, tried some areas that guys in gun shops recommended. For example, walked Meadow Creek(2 miles out and 2 miles back) - nothing. But I saw birds around houses just a mile or 2 from this creek. This area is just east of Oatman along Historic Route 66.

Saturday I went to Wickenburg. Finally got into a covey near Congress. Got 1 out of the initial "bust up", then wandered into areas where the singles landed - that was good - after bust up, the singles hold rock solid almost exactly where they land - got 3 while chasing them around for 30 minutes or so. Had some humbling misses in there too! But that 45 minutes was good action.

On Sunday I put up 3-4 west of Wickenburg and got 1. So a total of 5 birds.

Bottom line: Need more time to figure out more specifically where they hang out in remote, huntable areas. Or try a different area - south central?

I've figured out Idaho valley quail - limited out for a week there before going to AZ.

Thanks RK, trying to get up that way for a trial run. Winter in the NW valley so not to far from wickenburg. PM me sometime if your looking for an extra dog and gun to go along!

Remeber that the SW is in the grip of a drought so all the quail you see in and around civilization are surviving and will be the seed stock for future years. A couple years of good weather and there will be quail seemingly everywhere.

I'm glad you got into a few covies anyways. I did not make a desert trip this year but if the weather holds up (it's been good so far) I will head that way next season.

Back