Quial opener

Yeah, you guys are supposed to get some decent rain out of this one. They'll still be there when you get out.:cheers:

byron anywhere in the desert just out side of town. look for state trust land. your license is your pass to hunt it. I am talking gambels quail. pm me for more details.

I'll be going after gambel's the last week of the season(Feb 1 - 7). My first venture to Arizona. Have hunted valley quail in Idaho the last 3 years.

Thinking about starting out in the Wickenburg area - anyone have any experience in that general area. How big of a concern are the snakes?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'll be going after gambel's the last week of the season(Feb 1 - 7). My first venture to Arizona. Have hunted valley quail in Idaho the last 3 years.

Thinking about starting out in the Wickenburg area - anyone have any experience in that general area. How big of a concern are the snakes?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Wickenburg is a great area and little chance of snakes in feb unless it is sunny and warm. If it is they will be sunning outside of the dens.

jmac,

Thank you much.

How about the Bullhead City/Kingman/Lake Havasu City triangle? In other words, just east of Needles, CA over to Hwy 93?

RK

I've heard decent reports of quail along the river from Needles to Blythe on the CA side so I imagine it would be decent on the AZ side in that area. Hit the washed near the river.:cheers:

Thanks guys.............will try to remember to give a report.

Will be attempting to climb the "learning curve". Usually takes at least 2-3 days...........sometimes much longer(a pair of boots?) I call it "finding traction in the uplands".

RK

This may seem like cheating but to shorten the curve, drive the dirt roads and washes at dawn and dusk looking for covies. Drop dogs (or just hunters) and follow them until they flush or they seem to vanish, they will run a lot, and then hunt back the same route you followed them on and you'll find singles and pairs that peeled off and hunkered down during the chase. The desert is BIG and the quail will be scattered by that time if there is moisture. You can also listen and use a call if you have one, they sound almost identical to California quail but have an extra syllable, "chi- ca- ca- go" instead of "chi- ca- go". They may not be vocal by then but if you scatter a covey they'll start calling. Good luck, the desert is a beautiful place and so are Gambel's quail.:cheers:

I saw loads of them on a golf course west of Phoenix in April of 2014. Are they becoming a creature of the civilized world, gravitating to the "easy life" around handouts? Or are they just as numerous and common in rural desolation?

RK

The places I hunt Gambel's are at least 60mi from any civilization (a gas station), the proverbial "middle of nowhere" in very rough country. Just like CA quail, you can find them in suburbs or in seemingly desolate places.

Last edited:
Thanks, Quailhound.....

Just got back from 8 day pheasant hunt in ND/MT.

Yup, that's what I learned about CA quail - they'll take the easy feed that Grandma provides but do just fine without it in complete desolation also.

I'll be staying in Needles, CA mostly because the motel had a good rate. Will hunt east of there as far as Wickenburg, etc.

Good luck, please let us know what you see.

LOL they are out there and in good numbers. They are spread out because of all the rains we have had. they dont need to head to regular water sources. it is getting cold here and they are coving up in big coveys. :thumbsup:

So cold and dry helps concentrate the Gambels?

With pheasants, all of the following help bunch up the birds:

1. COLD - really cold!
2. Rain - never tried hunting in a full-blown thunder storm though
3. Snow - but 2-3 feet is asking to much. Ideal: 1-4 inches
4. WIND - big wind - 30 mph+ is doable

Cold makes covies (multiple)come together and form into one big covey. The dry only helps before the first rains cause green up in the early season. Once green up starts and the mornings get cool the quail are no longer dependant on a permanent water source so they can spread out into places that are too far from water in the summer.

Back