Questions from someone new to the game.

billyv23

Hows it going everyone, I am sure you probably get tired of the "new guy" questions but if you have patience and understanding maybe you could help me out.

I am new to colorado, been here for about a year but deployed most of that time, I never hunted upgame birds, and don't have much of an idea where to start. I have researched alot of things about hunting here in colorado, but still think i should get advice from the experienced guys. The sad thing is most people i know that hunt here usually only hunt for big game and pred. So here is a few opening questions maybe I could get help with.

Should I try to even work some areas without a dog?

I know that where I am currently (Colorado springs) most good birds are either north, or east... Should I just focus on one species or would it be more in my interests to travel to one of these spots.

Is that walk on stamp worth it?

If you have some good ideas for me and can help me out I appreciate it, and am in debt to you.

Thanks,
Billy

Glad to hear you're interested in upland bird hunting. There are only a few more weeks left in the season, so you may find it in your best interest to hold off until next year. If you can't wait that long, grab a license, walk in stamp and atlas and head out east. The hunting is tough this time of year, but you may be able to kick up a few birds. If its just you, I would definitely focus on smaller tracts of land...overgrown farm yards, pivot corners, long shelterbelts. The birds will be tough to pin down, but if your sneaky enough, you may be able to surprise a few.

As far as a specific location, I've never hunted anything south of I-70, and am unsure how good it is. I usually hunt the Holyoke area, but have heard good things about Yuma, and other parts of the state as well.

You could also look into hunting a preserve. Its a good way to get onto birds and can be a lot of fun, especially to someone trying to learn the ropes. I've gone to a place called Auer Bird Valley to work my dog and have been satisfied. I think they charge about $100 for 5 birds. I'm sure there are places closer to you if your interested. It may seem like alot of money, but by the time you buy your license, gas, food... you could spend close to that anyhow. Don't get me wrong; you can't beat hunting wild birds, but it does provide excellent training for the dog, and is fun to do. Just something to think about.

Good Luck!

thanks

thanks for the help!

I have all the necessary liscenses and stamps. I will probably go out tommorow and test my luck. I am very skeptical that ill flush anything but it's worth a try. Best wishes and thanks for the advice.

Billy

I hunted for years without a dog and did ok. If I were you I would head to Joes and hunt north from there. Ive heard good things about the wia around there. Dont be afraid to knock on some doors, This time of year most farmers dont mind letting you out there.
Look for corners of center pivots with as heavy cover as you can find, fence rows and other smaller plots of grass near feed. Im talking about pheasant hunting here.
Keep in touch on this site as I live in Colorado springs also and will be going out again soon and dont mind taking a rookie out and showin them the ropes

thanks again...

I really do appreciate the advice and invitations. I hope to put your wisdom to good use.

Thanks,
Very respectfully
Billy

Back