Questions dealing with hard running birds

dc240nt

So far I've been pretty impressed with my Pups performance. However, I have seen on occasion where she seems to get confused with a running bird. Example: yesterday she locked up hard on point right in front of me. I had watched her follow her nose to the spot where she went on point. She was pointing on a narrow trail in knee high (on me) CRP grass about 3 feet from taller, thicker swamp grass. Theres no doubt there had been a bird sitting there that had either seen or heard us coming. Her reaction after being released from her point was to make a fast and short circle thru the tall swamp grass, then she went back out into the CRP and really worked an area approx 50ft x 50ft. No bird. She knew she was close but just couldnt come up with it. My question is this, is there anything I can do for her during this moment? I was directing her with hand signals and felt we covered the area pretty good. Should I encourage her to take the trail right away or should I just let her work it out on her own? So far I've just waited for her to work the area and then left, letting her reaction dictate departure. Should I encourage and push her onto the trail to give chase or hang back and let her figure it out? I make her wear a skid plate and I think the birds are hearing her come. I'd like to leave the vest on her because the only time I worked her without it she scraped herself up pretty good.

In my opinion you handled it just fine. Just let her work out the scent on her own. If the bird is still in the area she may pick up the trail, otherwise she will move on.

One of the hardest things for us (humans) to accept is that the dog knows more than we. We may have our own idea as to where the birds may be or have gone, but in reality you have to trust that nose on the dog. I can't tell you how many times I have had to learn this the hard way....:eek:

I agree the best way is let the dog figure it out for its self. Offer encouragement, with words like "Find it", itell mine "find the bird. I have seen him work a bird to a spot and then look up at the sky. I think he is telling me it flew out here. For he goes looking for a new bird.......Bob

One of the hardest things for us (humans) to accept is that the dog knows more than we. We may have our own idea as to where the birds may be or have gone, but in reality you have to trust that nose on the dog. I can't tell you how many times I have had to learn this the hard way....:eek:

Almost every day I hunt............

If the dog is young I would not worry about it. I think the ability to decipher fresh scent from old comes with time and experience.

Got it...and I appreciate it. I'm no dog trainer and will never claim to be. I just got back home from a deer hunt so the dog is well rested. Tuesday she'll get another chance.

Back