Question for GSP owners

870-Lefty

Do any of you that own GSP's kennel them outside year round? If so, how well do they handle cold temps, say 32 degrees farenheit down to 20 degrees farenheit, if they are in well insulated dog houses?

The short answer is yes they can survive, but will do MUCH better indoors IMO.

I've always kept mine inside so I really can't offer any real world experience there. Having them indoors or at least at night affords you the luxury of bonding with them in a way not possible IMO vs 100% outdoors. I realize for some that is not possible, but you truly will be missing out by not having them indoors interacting with the family members.

That said...a GSP will lack a serious coat for real cold temps, yes if they are raised outdoors they will develop a heavier coat, but it will be nothing compared to say a lab. A well insulated dog house combined with a kennel run that is sheltered from the wind would be the bare minimum. You will also have to increase their food rations by up to 50% in many cases for them to maintain weight in cold temps.

My .02 :)

The short answer is yes they can survive, but will do MUCH better indoors IMO.

I've always kept mine inside so I really can't offer any real world experience there. Having them indoors or at least at night affords you the luxury of bonding with them in a way not possible IMO vs 100% outdoors. I realize for some that is not possible, but you truly will be missing out by not having them indoors interacting with the family members.

That said...a GSP will lack a serious coat for real cold temps, yes if they are raised outdoors they will develop a heavier coat, but it will be nothing compared to say a lab. A well insulated dog house combined with a kennel run that is sheltered from the wind would be the bare minimum. You will also have to increase their food rations by up to 50% in many cases for them to maintain weight in cold temps.

My .02 :)

This is a great answer:10sign:

Doesn't it get/stay colder in Maryland than it does in KS? If so, take me experience with a grain of salt.

I've had it both ways. Our current GSP lives outside year round. His box is made of industrial-grade insulated panels and I put more straw in and around it every week until it's packed in. It's heavily insulated and warm enough that the kids play with him in it, even on single digit days. We keep him dry, well watered, and the 50% increase in food is accurate IME.
18-20 degrees or less at night, we put him and the GWP in the back of the truck, inside the garage to sleep. That means he spends quite a few nights in the back of the truck in Jan/Feb.

That said, he's finally reached an age and maturity level that he may be moving back inside soon. He was a destroyer in the house and it lasted every bit of 2 years, like nothing I've ever experienced. He's settled down enough now and our toddler is a little more sure-footed that we're about to give him another chance. Hopefully he doesn't knock hot pots/pans off the stove/counter this time around:eek: We can tolerate some mischief, but we have to draw a line when it comes to safety.

So, as stated above, he'll survive outside. His coat won't be as nice and you'll miss out on bonding time. Keep him dry as best you can. And if you do end up keeping one outside, make it a point to play/socialize with him every day!

Last edited:
One thing I forgot to mention that often gets overlooked when kenneling outdoors in the winter. Regardless of breed, if your dog is to be kenneled outdoors during the colder winter months, you will need a way to keep fresh water available at all times and keeping it from freezing. Believe it or not in colder, drier air, a dog will require more water, yep you heard this correctly. More water will evaporate thru the dogs mouth than than in warmer more humid climates. You combine that with more feed if kenneled outdoors and the dog now requires more water for the extra feed and you can understand the importance of providing plenty of fresh water and the ability to keep it from freezing.

Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't have a GSP but was seriously considering getting one. The one I was considering is an inside dog so it wouldn't be right to make him stay outside, plus my wife has 2 house cats and I read some where that GSP's will kill cats if given the chance. I think I will start looking at other breeds. Thanks again for your opinions/advice.

I think the cat thing is a bit over blown. If you bring a puppy into a house with cats there is far less chances of any problems arising and normally they will learn to co-exist without too many issues. An adult dog you would obviously want to exercise caution. Wirehairs on the other hand and most specifically the German bred version (Drahthaar) or the German bred version of the Shorthair (DK) can be very fur sharp and will instinctively have the desire to kill anything with fur. They are heavily bred for that in Germany as upland game bird hunting is seldom if ever done.

Holy, that cat is crabby. But the pup didn't seem to care. :)

The last thing I will say on the GSP cat ordeal is this:

Big cats can be dangerous, but a little pussy never hurt nobody:D

Whoops, can I say that....:eek::eek:

Haha, I think it is OK. After all we are talking about cats.

I just picked up my dog from my parents.

3 Cats.......unfortunately he didn't kill any off them. I hate my parents cats.

Dont worry about cats, way overblown. Unless its the German import dogs.

Long as dog house is insultated, and closed off from the wind with a dog door, GSPs are fine outside, even down to 0F.
Lots of straw, wool blanket and again out of wind with a dog house door.

Mine stay in the house. I know a couple people who have dogs they kept outside, the best dog house design is a 2 chamber house and I've seen guys install a simple light bulb in a coffee can to provide some heat. If you look at the history of the GSP they were bred to be the common man's dog that would hunt everything and live in the house. Keeping dogs outside year round will cut a couple of years off their life. I wouldn't worry about a GSP killing a cat especially if raised around them, and if it does kill the cat then you can get a second GSP. If the dog is around you all the time you'll develop a special bond. It doesn't matter what kind of day you had, when you come home and you are greeted by a stub tail about to wiggle off it'll make you smile.

"In the very early years, before the advent of firearms, the focus was on developing a dog that could hunt both fur and feather from both land and water even at night without commands. At this time the nobility and wealthy landlords had huge kennels of specialized dogs - pointing dogs, trailing dogs, retrieving dogs. They were Falconers that did most of their hunting with birds of prey in daylight. The Kurzaar, unlike the Wiemaraner that was developed by the royalty of the Wiemar Republic, was very much the dog of the common man.

It is important to our breed today that those less fortunate were forced to feed their family by hunting game with nets at night in a manner that would be consider poaching by today?s standards. Because of this it was also a good idea for their dog to be quiet enough to be kenneled indoors so no one would know it existed. It is from this social dynamic that the very earliest dogs were developed. Today the German Shorthair is still well known for being and exceptionally biddable family dog that can do virtually anything in the field."

Back