Quail

Worked fire breaks maybe 2-3 days this week. I saw 1 crafty buck trying to sneak away unseen, 3 possums and 1 skunk the first day and 2 possums and 1 skunk the next! Need to start working dogs again, so I'm hoping to get onto some survivors while doing that.

Hope you find a few, looks like where I hunt was spared from much snow, but not from that cold. Luckily pasture and crp was as thick as I ever remember this year, so hopefully that gave them some thermal cover.

It has taken its toll on songbirds big time. I have 3 feeders in my yard and have found dozens of dead red birds, finches, collared doves, and sparrows.

I saw a nice covey a week ago Saturday in central Kansas. They were soaking up some sun in a plum thicket when I walked by. It was maybe 12-15 birds and they seemed to flush and fly well.

Kid I have in class flushed a big covey just west of the house and we don’t have many birds here close. I’m taking it with cautious optimism.

What's the skinny on the quail population now that the storm and brutal cold have passed through? Anything survive the brutal temps?

My pointing lab has been asking....she dearly loves to point the little bombers...

What's the skinny on the quail population now that the storm and brutal cold have passed through? Anything survive the brutal temps?

My pointing lab has been asking....she dearly loves to point the little bombers...
I don’t think it had much of an impact on them at all. The coveys I see regularly around the house didn’t appear to lose any birds.

I don’t think it had much of an impact on them at all. The coveys I see regularly around the house didn’t appear to lose any birds.
But it probably wasn't 28-30 below down where you live. I am still finding dead birds around here. Some didn't die til 2 weeks later. It will definitely have a toll but with a good hatch they will bounce right back.

But it probably wasn't 28-30 below down where you live. I am still finding dead birds around here. Some didn't die til 2 weeks later. It will definitely have a toll but with a good hatch they will bounce right back.
Got to about -20 here. So not quite as cold.
Still pretty damn chilly though. 🥶

We got to a balmy -16 down here north of Tulsa. I have not found dead birds but know people who have. I have not seen a single bluebird and I usually have some nesting by now. We got that cold in February of 2011 but the cold didn't last quite as long then.

I'm sure it took out some quail but know some folks who have seen some down here in NE Oklahoma since the cold. Definitely need a good summer.

Back