Quail

Has anybody seen any quail chicks or the quail paired up? A friend of mine who lives East of Terre Haute, IN said they have been seeing more quail than usual this spring.

The weather has been real spotty in most parts of central and northern missouri and im sure the same with illinois. Some areas of the state where we hunted and harvested birds last year got flooded out this spring. Other areas of the state ponds and irrigation lakes are drying up. I think the areas with average precipitation numbers will have higher numbers than normal. Been seeing little ones. Mostly in alfalfa fields and wheat. So im sure their using the the prairies too. Saw alot of pairs during turkey season.

Thanks for the info. I'm in eastern IL and we had a pretty wet spring but rains have been timely lately so I hope this helps.

A friend who farms in Eastern IL said he has been seeing a lot of big groups of Turkey poults. Hasn't seen many quail but hopefully good turkey nesting equals good quail nesting.:)

The timely rains and good weather continue in our area. A friend outside Terre Haute, IN said he is seeing more quail this year than he has in a long time.

Things have been looking the same way here in N. IL too (for pheasants). Though I haven't had a chance to check up on birds this summer, everything has been playing out in favor of pheasants/broods. Good weather, rain, and a lot of insects. All good thus far.

Nick

Back