Quail Unlimited No Longer!

Just found out that Quail Unlimited is going out of business! I have been a member ever since I can remember and yes they are very unorganized but I never thought it would come to this. Not a good sign for the bobwhite quail. They did recommend joing Quail Forever though it said so atleast they are still fighting the good fight!

My local chapter of QU switched probably three years ago due to them being so unorganized. We were switched over to Quail and Upland Wildlife Federation, and have been more that pleased.

http://www.quwf.net/

Yeah, got the email today. Really sad! Their magazine was the best out there for quail enthusiasts. Always offered a lot of biological information you couldn't get anywhere else. I worked with them for years on habitat projects. I hope everyone joins QF or QUWF and keeps fighting the fight.

Nothing is getting rolled into anything, they are just closing their doors. I was told today by the president of PF/QF that they did buy "A" members list. Not sure if it was pre problems or current. I would expect that to mean at some time former QU members will be contacted and offered membership with QF. There are a lot of hard working, dedicated folks that could do the same good work under another banner. We need everyone interested in our gamebirds working together to counter the pressures that push our bird populations down.

Sorry to hear QU is done. All Qu members are more than Welcome to join QF. The difference between the two Being, QF chapters get 100% of funds their chapter raises to use, for their chapters projects. The only moeny National makes is membership dues. :)

QU

When the problems at QU surfaced QU tried to sell their org to QF. QF did not bite. Rumors of what was going on at QU made them think I'm sure. It was not pretty. I was involved in QU for years and got out 4-5 years ago because of the inside workings of the org. I'm now a member of PF and will join QF separately if need be. PF spends a huge % of monies collected towards good causes for the birds.

QF

Sorry to hear QU is done. All Qu members are more than Welcome to join QF. The difference between the two Being, QF chapters get 100% of funds their chapter raises to use, for their chapters projects. The only moeny National makes is membership dues. :)

Great point... So much differant than QU.

I joined QU once and it was a waste of money. They did nothing for habitat anywhere but the SE and their magazine was nothing but pics of their big wig put and take hunts. Ridiculous. The QU chapters in Texas left and started the Quail Coalition. I'm a supporter of PF and QF, they seem to be doing a great job.

Nothing is getting rolled into anything, they are just closing their doors. I was told today by the president of PF/QF that they did buy "A" members list. Not sure if it was pre problems or current. I would expect that to mean at some time former QU members will be contacted and offered membership with QF. There are a lot of hard working, dedicated folks that could do the same good work under another banner. We need everyone interested in our gamebirds working together to counter the pressures that push our bird populations down.

Troy,

You are correct, QU did the right thing in not taking a pride thing, in there exit. They choose to take the high ground and chose Conservation. This is a great thing. I know that Qu failed in phx years ago. They memebers of Qu have come to Us In QF, and they are Gun shy. They got burned big time. I don't blame them for not wanting to sign up. However QF is a great Org. and we will welcome all comers.

I've stared two chapters in this state and one in doing fine and the other is going to be doing great very soon.

If you do not belong to PF/ QF you should Join in and Help OUT.:)

I helped start the Longspur chapter in Norton, Kansas back about 1990! Since I moved down here to the banana belt I have remained a member but haven't worked with a chapter. I was on the local QU habitat board and worked the banquets for years until it closed down some years ago. Now that the wee kiddies are out of the house, I may get a hankering to get involved again. There is a PF chapter in Hutchinson. Their banquet was Saturday night after the state meeting. I have also worked with the Wichita chapter of the QUWF!

Update

UPDATE: Quail Forever hires Bowles, QU staff

By J.D. Sumner (1877)*
j.d.sumner@albanyherald.com As of Monday, February 4, 2013*
© Copyright 2013 Albany Herald

Former Quail Unlimited Executive Director Bill Bowles talks to reporters during a news conference.

#ALBANY, Ga. — Former Quail Unlimited CEO Bill Bowles said Monday that Quail Forever, a larger national organization, has offered to take over the quail conservation work done previously by Quail Unlimited.

#In a news conference Monday morning, Bowles said he and his four-member staff, based in Albany, have been offered employment by QF, one of the largest quail groups left in the wake of the decision to fold Quail Unlimited. Bowles will be the Southeastern regional director, responsible for operations in Georgia, Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee, the Carolinas and Florida. The organization will be headquartered in Albany.

#Bowles said it remains unclear what role Quail Albany, an organization that was publicly unveiled at this year's Celebrity Quail hunt, will have in the transition. He said Quail Albany was organized to make certain the celebrity quail hunt was staged in Albany each year.

#Just completed, the next hunt will be held next November — timed to coincide with the start of quail season.

#Monday's announcement was another twist in an already complex story that developed late Friday afternoon when Bowles sent out an e-mail to Quail Unlimited's membership saying that the organization was closing immediately, giving way to Quail Albany — an organization that the Herald discovered had been formed in November 2012.

#Bowles said Monday that the decision to shutter Quail Unlimited was one that was based on finances and debts he says were inherited from the old guard of the organization which were aggravated by previously unknown debtors who surfaced once the organization began to right its ship.

#"We didn't have records...we just rolled our sleeves up and went to work," Bowles said. "The debt as we knew it was $1.2 million and we worked tirelessly over the last two years to get that down to a level around $300,000...and when we thought we were at one debt level, the bar kept rising."

#Still, he says, that wasn't enough to keep the organization afloat. With mounting legal and financial challenges, Bowles says the decision was made to shut down Quail Unlimited forever and start up Quail Albany in order to save the annual Southwest Georgia quail hunts.

#"We've worked hard these last two years, but it's like I've often said, we've been paddling a boat with a toothpick, this will not only give us some real oars to work with, but it'll give us an outboard motor," Bowles said.

#At least one of QU's creditors say they'll have to weigh Bowles' statement before deciding on whether to continue litigation meant to get client's money they contend the organization owes them.

#James Hays, of the law firm Hays & Potter in Atlanta, is representing office equipment giant Pitney Bowes in a lawsuit against QU for what they claim is $27,000 in unpaid obligations stemming from the QU's days in South Carolina.

#He says that while Georgia law allows for creditors to pursue debts owed by companies whom they believe are still conducting the same business from the same location with the same principal individuals involved just under a new name, determining what assets QU may have had may weigh heavily on his advice to his client.

#"Generally, a corporation can essentially close its doors and walk away," Hays says. "Essentially say 'we have nothing of value, sorry about the bills we racked up but we're out of here.' That's the ugly side of an economy that is based so much on credit. It's always a gamble."

#While Bowles wouldn't specifically say who would be in charge of the hunts going forward — Quail Forever or Quail Albany — he did say that QF's considerable resources and national reach would give him the opportunity to focus on building partnerships with land owners and state governments to ensure Quail Unlimited's initial core mission — quail conservation and stewardship — is realized.

QU

If your curious about QU. Google "Rocky Evans Quail Unlimted". Read the Covey Rise article.

Back