Purple Death at my Doorstep!!

For me, it's a confidence thing. Shooting the best non-tox shells I can at public land pheasants adds maybe $40 to the cost of my season, & I hunt public land a lot. To me it's well worth it to shoot something I have no doubts about. You can still blame the shells &/or gun anyway if you miss, but when you take a reasonable shot & place it well, a rooster goes in the vest. No ifs, ands, or buts.
I tried some bismuth this season for the first time and while there was a little sticker shock, the deadly effectiveness was notable. I have shot steel 100% since I was in high school as I didn't like having to switch shells depending on where I was at and longer shots with steel often required Sage (or Kit or Meg or Eva) to do her thing if I didn't hit them in the head. I hunt waterfowl quite a bit and due to the sheer volume of caps busted at those guys, steel will continue to be what I use for ducks and geese, but am hoping to pick up some BOSS shells and see how they do on pheasants this fall. I'm lucky that all my hunting takes place within 45 minutes of my house, but between fuel costs and shells, the fuel takes the cake every time. There are other places to scrimp when hunting and shells isn't one of them, for me anyway.

$1.50/shell isn't too bad, unless you're a "spray & pray" shooter.
Like someone said above, shells are the cheapest part of the hunt. I've seen guys pay thousands of dollars for a hunt at one of the really nice lodges and then show up with the cheapest promotional shells you can find. I don't understand it!
Last year I shot just short of three boxes but drove thousands of miles. It doesn't pay to go with the promo loads and the roosters deserve better!

Pattern might be a tad thin with only 135 pellets in that shell? I can make you a box of 11/8oz NP number #5.5 or CP #5 let me know

So can we agree that if I'm patterning my 16ga with IC & Mod using these shells, I should pattern the IC @ 30yds and the Mod @ 40yds?

So can we agree that if I'm patterning my 16ga with IC & Mod using these shells, I should pattern the IC @ 30yds and the Mod @ 40yds?
Pattern everything at 40 yds, so you can compare. Unless you never plan to take 40-yd shots for some reason. Then pattern everything at 30.

Last edited:
You will like the cleanliness of your gun after shooting the Boss. I was impressed.
I just patterned my 12 Montefeltro with theBoss shorty 5s.
I had and average of 84% at 30 yds with MOD and 57% at 40 yds.
I don't have an IM for the Montefeltro for comparison but I don't shoot IC for wild public roosters. I'm not an educated ammo guy but more of a "confidence comes from dead birds in the field guy" but thought I'd post these.
Just got butterflies thinking about how close the season is.

Back