got about 5 inches of snow on the last day and the birds held a lot better
for him. Even though he got fooled alot he had a lot of solid points and some
nice kills over him when I did my part. He came back a little banged up from
the wear and tear of barbed wire and thick cover but he never quit hunting
All and all a great week of hunting. Next year I am considering a skid plate
but am wondering how they go through barbed wire fences and not get hung
up.

Last edited:
Good to see and hear. I'm headed to central SD this coming Saturday for my family's first trip there for pheasant. We've been to the black hills for turkey and deer in the past. It'll be me, my father, and my uncle.

I have a one year old lab who's only seen a few stockies so I'm sure it'll be an education like it was for your dog. Which part of the state did you visit? Looking for any first timer tips and if you were in the area where we're going (Gettysburg area) some good places to eat.

pups first hunt

We were in the Pierre area. And being new to this type of dog hunting the only advice I can give is be quiet while hunting. I used
the buzz sound on my e-collar to handle my dog with no whistles, but we did shoot a few birds in thick cattails using him simular
to a flushing dog, god forbid the pointing dog owners don't faint lol. The thick cattails always held birds with some late flushes after the main bunch flushed. Good luck to you'll and let us know how it went.

Last edited:
skid plate

I hope you find a skid plate that works well for your pointer. I purchase one, it was expensive, and have tried it on three different dogs. They don't like it as it tends to rub raw spots under their front legs. The nicks and cuts from brush don't seem to bother them as much as the skid plate. It would be nice to hear from people who have fond skid plates that work for their dogs.

your pup is just paying his dues.......he will get smarter and learn to handle wild roosters on his own simply through experience, he will be smarter about moving past barbwire and obstacles as times goes by as well....just turn him loose and watch the fun....my dogs have all learned, when encountering a tight fence or hog wire on the bottom, they simply wait for me to spread the wire and pass through....it's all about learning.

your pup is just paying his dues.......he will get smarter and learn to handle wild roosters on his own simply through experience, he will be smarter about moving past barbwire and obstacles as times goes by as well....just turn him loose and watch the fun....my dogs have all learned, when encountering a tight fence or hog wire on the bottom, they simply wait for me to spread the wire and pass through....it's all about learning.

And that's why I have to wait for you all the time! :rolleyes:
My dogs just run through the fence:cheers:

And that's why I have to wait for you all the time! :rolleyes:
My dogs just run through the fence:cheers:

no, you usually have to wait on me while my dog is on point and i am shooting another rooster....even with a full vest, i will catch up!

We were in the Pierre area. And being new to this type of dog hunting the only advice I can give is be quiet while hunting. I used
the buzz sound on my e-collar to handle my dog with no whistles, but we did shoot a few birds in thick cattails using him simular
to a flushing dog, god forbid the pointing dog owners don't faint lol. The thick cattails always held birds with some late flushes after the main bunch flushed. Good luck to you'll and let us know how it went.

Try the Mendota skid plate.

My Springer nearly gutted himself yesterday on a sawn-off fence post that appeared to be an old leg trap sight,had the chain still attached. My first thought after his howling subsided and I saw he was still intact, was how far dog protection devices still have to evolve. :confused:

pups first SD hunt

The intact fences don't bother him as he just slinks through, but with the skid plate on I was wondering if it will hang up on top mostly. The ones I worry about most are those on public ground that the wire has fallen and is just coiled loosely in the grass and not taken up as it should have been. I have never used a skid plate and hear a lot about them rubbing under the front legs, and have heard people say they trim them to eliminate this, but will try one and see. Most people speak highly about the Mendota (sp?) so that will probably is what I will try.

Back