Puppy mills

Moellermd, Just to ad I never said I agree with any of this legislation, I just brought it up that it was being looked at in a bill, perhaps I should have not brought it up. With me having the dogs I do I guess in SD I would be a commercial breeder, MN a serious hobby breeder. Never said I agree with either, just that if they pull it off, which I doubt, that I don't care if they inspect me, I have nothing to hide and records of where all dogs are. We raise only a litter a year, rarely 2. The talk on the radio about the pet shops is what I think would be more productive, just my opinion. In my own mind from what I have seen and heard that is the avenue most used for puppy mills. So if that is subject to regulation some how I am not so against that. Rabbits and other things are none of my business as well as the dairy industry for example. I certainly do not believe a breeder with 3 dogs is a puppy mill, never made that statement, Putting words in my mouth is not what I had in mind here either. I don't know what they are really going to do or do I support it either. And once more I caught just a tail end fraction of the discussion of pet shops on the radio, I don't know all the details on that either....

Also, if some one wants to sell a puppy to a pet shop, why would that buyer not just go to the breeder?, because people are blind or unaware to the issue often. If the road for the mill is blocked, customer and client will still be able to find eachother easily. Especialy that guy with the 2 pups or doing it humanely. In fact I at least would think it would make it easier for a responsible breeder to place their dogs in good homes, the market will be less flooded by millers.

Last edited:
quote from terms and conditions.. im not pointing fingers at anyone... but read this:

Folks who come here are here to share information about outdoor pursuits, not bash it or whine about it. Keep your posts positive.

just because he heard it on the radio doesnt make it 100% accurate! and no reason to bash it. some people would of heard it 3 dogs, or someone heard it 10 dogs.

point is, its not a law yet. so why waste our typing and just wait til its actually a law. then we can discuss it but we're not here to bash anyone. your opinion is allowed, but agruing over and over shouldnt be.

keep it positive!

Most breeders Ive come across usually have two adult dogs and the puppies. Never seen a breeder have up to 170 dogs at once. And that is just plain crazy too.

I couldnt see myself handling 170 dogs with out a good amount of staff to pay to keep the dogs healthy, let alone feed and clean kennels.

I agree, there has to be a limit. In numberous states, even if you are NOT a breeder, you cant have numberous of dogs or cats or both in your house. Animal police or Humane Society will take them and often times let the owner off on a ticket or warning.. ive seen old lady on tv had over 20 cats, 16 dogs in a single wide trailer house. they let her keep 3 dogs, and 5 cats and told her they have to be nutuered or she will face a fine.

dogs dont deserve to be kenneled all the time, nor have no exercise bc the owner locks them up for money.

I completely agree........

a few things to say though... when you got a puppy mill with a size of 170 adult dogs.. theres bound to be sick puppies and how can ONE man with a family take care of 170 dogs???? theres NO way!!!

My mom has to give away cats/kittens bc 20 is too much and cats are very low maintance cats and they can survive a long perid of time as dogs cant live like cats.. so 170 is just unbelievable.. and thats where Rose of Second Chance took it personal more than on a job level to seek those dogs.

I think in this case.. Dan should NOT get back his 170 dogs but only to max a population of 10 adult dogs at a time. Rose should have never been the president of Second Chance and she should resign from her Humane Society Officer postition.. shes gonna be paying big time and i dont think the City of Sioux Falls would want to back her and support her bc her decision led to this and how does the city trust her judgement here on out?

Last edited:
Don't worry, I don't think anyone is bashing me or anyone on here. Maybe a bit misinterpreted, but I don't feel bashed at all. It was late last night and I could have made my self a bit more clear before closing my eyes and going beddy by. As sportsmen with hunting dogs I thought this might be worth talking about a little is all. It might be something that effects some or many of us in the future. Although many of the mills have been so called associated with breeds that are more away from the working dog or hunting dog picture, lately there has been some big inquires into this behavior involving gun dog type breeds.

Last edited:
well I dont want to turn out into a full blown agruement.

heres what i do when I see im interested a bill to pass... I dont even listen or read what the legs are defining it. I wait til its a law... bc i can read laws way more better than a Legs side of writing.

Don't think there is any bashing going on. FCS and I simply disagree about how much gov involvement should be in the puppy selling business. We each are sharing our ideas and opinions. People come to these sites for the exchange of ideas.

The real issue is that FCS is jealous because I successfully multi-quoted his post and he can't do it yet.

Last edited:
I dissagree that we dissagree, I in fact think we agree to agree without dissagreeing at all. Now that we agree if you realy read what we never realy truely dissagreed on because I never agreed with it for the sake of dissagreeing in the first place were cool. Hows that for a explination.:D Now if you can figure that one out I will be impressed.

And yes I did chuckle when I saw how gifted you became with that multifunction, I tried to help you and you bit the hand that fed ya.
:cheers: And that is a joke just for clarification.

Bird man if you get to see any of this stuff starting to shape up or become more clear please let us know what the heck there up to.
There was a bust similar to that one you talk about in Missouri last year, where the guy alledgedly started his buildings on fire and set loose most of the dogs, about a couple hundred dogs and most were Springers and German short hairs. Sad deal, theres plenty on the subject if one googles it. For these reasons I am guessing thats why the real push to do something is going on. In that case the person is named as well and several articles are out there about it. Most of the dogs were taken by rescues including the ESS rescue groups all over.

I really think people who never hunted and want to make money take hunting dogs for granted. They are NOT easy money. Not everyone is gonna buy a GSP or Weimaraner, or GWP...

I mean who buys 100 puppies in one year?

Most people would buy from a trusted breeder or kennel that actually hunts and takes their dog training serious..

this puppy mill is merely a dog sale with no experience of training nor could i say, know how to take care of them.

as a Law Enforcement officer, this hits me personal but i know I cant do much about it unless evidence shows otherwise. according to the reports, they were in good condition at the time of the raid. there were better ways to approach this and tell this guy he needs to provide a license or some kind of an assigned daily vet log... and all records kept.

i would love to see IRS do an audit on this guy...

Back