puppy food

Interesting, When we had our Mastiff the breeder told us to only feed adult dog food. The fat and protein in puppy food is too high would cause the dog to grow to fast.

I think if you compare the analysis and ingredients of the Puppy formula to the Performance formula on various dog foods you will find they are quite similar. I know that is the case with NutriSource. Last year my pup didn't like the Puppy formula because the kibbles were so small so I swtiched her to the Super Performance. The analysis and ingredients were identical except the crude fiber was 4% on one and 5% on the other. I continued to feed the Super Performance through the hunting seasaon and now at 15 months have her on the regular chicken & rice adult formula. Just make sure that any adult dog food you feed contains everything that a puppy needs.

I have found that feeding a performance formula year round doesn't work for me. My dogs don't get as much exercise during the off-season and have a dendency to gain weight on the performance. I cut back to the regular adult and on one dog to the weight management formula.

My dogs dont get quite as much exercise as during hunting season, but they still get a fair amount.

When I talked to the guys in the Purina booth at the Pheasant fest they recommended going to the performance formula, but feeding less of it. I think the key is using the same formula, but like they said, feed less total grams of food.

Interesting, When we had our Mastiff the breeder told us to only feed adult dog food. The fat and protein in puppy food is too high would cause the dog to grow to fast.

That's whey you are probably seeing the "large breed" formula in both puppy and adult foods.

When I talked to the guys in the Purina booth at the Pheasant fest they recommended going to the performance formula, but feeding less of it. I think the key is using the same formula, but like they said, feed less total grams of food.

I've often thought the same. The calories are usually stated per cup. So it you feed less of the performance you get the same calories as the regular adult and also probably the same percentage of protein, fat, etc.

There are some awfully good foods rated quite low. But that's normal for these type of dog food rating services. They all seem to rank the natural foods over the regular foods. I really don't put much stock in them.

so this is a useless information?

I guess it's whatever you want to make of it. Do you know that their rating system is correct and/or valid?

Like I said, there are some good dog foods listed (foods that I'm sure a lot of people on this site use and like) that rated quite low. To me their rating system is slanted toward the organic and natural dog foods. Guess it's kind of like arguing with a vegetarian about diet when your a meat eater. I'm not trying to start an agrument here. But I for one am not going to switch dog foods based on what that dog food rating web site says.

The world is truly coming to an end when I have to feed my dogs organic dog food. Maybe I will just start going to the shelter once a week and get a couple cats for them. Can't get any more natural/organic than that.

Dakotazeb I'm going to have to agree with you, I dont really put a whole lotta stock in a rating system like this. I'm sure that some of the brands that got A's on this list are readily available in some areas but where im at we dont have them available, so the D's and F's are gonna have to do :) whats weird is that multiple vets have recommended some of the brands that got the D's and F's?!?!?! My point is everyone has their own opinion, and unless we can ask the dogs themselves guess we'll all just keep doin what we think is best :)

The world is truly coming to an end when I have to feed my dogs organic dog food. Maybe I will just start going to the shelter once a week and get a couple cats for them. Can't get any more natural/organic than that.[/QUOTE

Moellermd, that made me laugh out loud when i read it! I couldn't agree more, and im sure that a cat would rate higher on any dogs list than a bag of dog chow lol

my parents feed there dog one of the A pated foods its the most annoying dog I have ever met so I give the food a F!

when i got my GSP pup. i was told to feed him Diamond food. i dunno if anyone else does here, but Diamond food has been rated pretty good even though its not on that list, the Black Bag by Diamond is suppose to be the best one in that Diamond products.

i could be wrong. Just throwing out what I read, not my experience or opinion.

Ive fed my GSP the Diamond pup food, then switched him to Pro Plan food and everyone would ask me what I feed my dog to get a shiny beautiful coat he had, i said hes been on Diamond 3/4s of his life (as he is/was 1.5 years old now since hes been missing) and been on pro-plan for i say a good 3 months. that comment was given to me when he was on Diamond food..

We are feeding all our dogs Lifes Abundance. All natural no fillers. Good for puppy to adult. No preservatives and no corn fillers. Email and I can send you a link for info.

Back